Seachem Neutral Regulator

  • Thread starter Vivo
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

Vivo

Active Member
Member
Messages
238
I have soft water and I keep reading stuff on stabilizing pH. I've done a lot of reading on KH GH and pH and am very confused. So, can I just use Seachem's Neutral Regulator which adjusts to 7.0. It is also a dechlorinator and detoxifies ammonia, which isn't a problem anyway.
 
  • #2

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
14,058
What is the pH of your tap water? Tank water? Those numbers will tell us if adding anything is actually necessary.

Are you cycling a tank or is your tank already cycled? Often the cycling process will tend to lower the pH.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Vivo

Active Member
Member
Messages
238
My tap pH is around 6.6 and my aquarium pH was around 6.6. My tank is cycled and has been for three months. Zero ammonia zero nitrites and 5 to 10 ppm nitrates. KH is about 3 and GH is around 36 BPM’s. What I don’t understand is that if my water was so soft why do I have scale all over my Fossetts, LOL. Also scale In my toilet.
 
  • #4

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
14,058
Vivo said:
My tap pH is around 6.6 and my aquarium pH was around 6.6. My tank is cycled and has been for three months. Zero ammonia zero nitrites and 5 to 10 ppm nitrates. KH is about 3 and GH is around 36 BPM’s. What I don’t understand is that if my water was so soft why do I have scale all over my Fossetts, LOL. Also scale In my toilet.
That is curious. It must have something to do with what minerals (calcium perhaps) make up your GH but of course that is just guessing. As long as your pH is stable I don't think it is necessary to add something to change it. It is normally best to work with what we have instead of trying to get perfect numbers. Unless you have fish that have to have a higher pH I wouldn't try to change it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Vivo

Active Member
Member
Messages
238
That's what I think, but "people" think that I need to add minerals to my water because it isn't hard enough. Besides that, the Kh and Gh data sheet seems to think 0-3 degrees is fine for certain fishes like neons. So, there is another mixed message. Sigh... thanks for your affirmation.
 
  • #6

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
14,058
Vivo said:
That's what I think, but "people" think that I need to add minerals to my water because it isn't hard enough. Besides that, the Kh and Gh data sheet seems to think 0-3 degrees is fine for certain fishes like neons. So, there is another mixed message. Sigh... thanks for your affirmation.
You are so very welcome. I love the ease of getting information with the internet but we have to take a lot of what we read with a grain of salt and sift through and discard a lot of it.

I would think snails would thrive in your water. They need extra calcium to grow strong shells and it seems you may have it in abundance. :)

I actually add Equilibrium to my very soft water. Minerals in it are almost non-existent. I found once I bought a TDS meter the number rated mine almost as pure as RO water. My fish had no problem with it (I have mostly tetras and corys) but I couldn't grow plants.

I also run crushed coral in my filters to keep my pH up to a constent 7.2 That is what it comes out of the tap as but tended to drop once in the tank. The CC keeps it from dropping. The good thing about using CC is add it and pretty much forget it unlike other products that need to be added with each water change.

Since yours comes out of the tap at 6.6 and stays at that level I don't think it is necessary to try to raise it or mess with it at all.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Vivo

Active Member
Member
Messages
238
mattgirl said:
You are so very welcome. I love the ease of getting information with the internet but we have to take a lot of what we read with a grain of salt and sift through and discard a lot of it.

I would think snails would thrive in your water. They need extra calcium to grow strong shells and it seems you may have it in abundance. :)

I actually add Equilibrium to my very soft water. Minerals in it are almost non-existent. I found once I bought a TDS meter the number rated mine almost as pure as RO water. My fish had no problem with it (I have mostly tetras and corys) but I couldn't grow plants.

I also run crushed coral in my filters to keep my pH up to a constent 7.2 That is what it comes out of the tap as but tended to drop once in the tank. The CC keeps it from dropping. The good thing about using CC is add it and pretty much forget it unlike other products that need to be added with each water change.

Since yours comes out of the tap at 6.6 and stays at that level I don't think it is necessary to try to raise it or mess with it at all.
Why do u think I have a lot of calculum? Did I miss something lol.
 
  • #8

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
14,058
Vivo said:
Why do u think I have a lot of calculum? Did I miss something lol.
I was just going by the scale buildup you have in your toilet and on your faucets. It has to be coming from something in your water. I am just assuming it is calcium based on your gh reading.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Vivo

Active Member
Member
Messages
238
ooohhhhh... okay, thanks! :)
 
Top Bottom