Seachem Matrix stones

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by superawesome, Aug 6, 2015.

1. s

superawesome Valued Member Member

Hello,
    I mixed seachem matrix stones with bio balls in my sump. Recently I put the stones in a mesh bag to avoid a mess of stones when cleaning the sump. However, the bag turned out to be slightly smaller than the area where the stones were. So new there is a one inch gap in all for sides of that area, leaving some water to flow through without touching the bag. But, and I put emphasis on the but, I placed the bio balls on top of that bag so they cover the gaps and the water flow touches all. My tank is pretty well acclimated but my question is if the gap would cause any issues flowing through good bacteria. I'm sure the bio balls are doing their job in that sense too but I'm not too crazy about those round plastic balls. Your opinions count.

2. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

You might try making a DIY basket to the shape you need, and just adding more matrix. The gap shouldn't be an issue though. You could use mesh crafting grid, it's less than a dollar for a 13"x 9" piece, you can use zipties to attach it together. You can make it whatever shape and size you want, it's really easy to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    s

I have a roll of plastic window screen I bought from home depot. I was thinking of making a bag out if it, but could not get myself to do it so I ended up buying the bag I have now.

4. OP
    OP
    s

Finally made the bag out of window screen mesh for the matrix stones. Now it covers all corners the way it should. I can rest now. I really want to get rid of the bio balls but I keep debating on that. The water parameters are always great so I guess the combination of the stones and bio balls is good enough.

5. TanksbyTim

TanksbyTim Valued Member Member

Great solution! Bio-balls are great for biological media, so I would recommend that you save them for future tanks. :)

6. OP
    OP
    s

I still have a half box of bio balls unused since I switched to the stones.

7. TanksbyTim

TanksbyTim Valued Member Member

I like to use a very large amount of biological media in my tanks so I would say the more the merrier, but that may not be for you if you dislike Bio-balls.

8. OP
    OP
    s

I don't dislike them. I'm not 100% sure they do the job like the stones do due to their porosity. I wonder if I put the rest of the bio balls in the sump where there is a void, but that would be a pain to clean because that area gets a lot of detritus the filter doesn't trap and I have to clean it all the time, otherwise it gets really nasty. I use two pre-filters, one is the regular blue/white filter and under that I use 100 micron filter. Even with that the sump gets dirty. I also have more filters set, two in the baffle and one in the pump. And still goes through.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice