Seachem Matrix Question.

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by bkaiser3, Apr 23, 2017.

1. bkaiser3Well Known MemberMember

I have high nitrates in my tap water, i dont really want to use an RO unit because then i have to remineralize. I will be using 2 SunSun 304B filters on my 125 gallon tank. My question is, can i fill all 4 trays in both filters with the matrix so maximize my results of lowering my nitrates? All help will be greatly appreciated. I have attached a photo of the trays that are in my 2 filters. be11db7917704355fd5d6af21aedf547.jpg
    @CindiL

2. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

While Matrix may help some, I don't think it will eliminate your nitrate issues. While I also love Matrix I would still suggest using some of the coarse blue sponges made for the SunSun filters. They act as a good stage 1 filtration so the Matrix doesn't get clogged with gunk. I have a SunSun HW-302 with 3 baskets. I use the blue sponges in first/bottom bastket, then matrix with a few of the white fine filter floss pads for the 2nd and 3rd baskets.

3. OP
    OP
    b

bkaiser3Well Known MemberMember

I do plan to leave the pads in them. I have read that matrix will lower nitrates over time, about 4-6 weeks from posts i have read. I want to avoid an RO unit if possible.

4. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Matrix has worked really well for me. I have 80ppm nitrates in my tap water. I usually have 10-30ppm nitrates in my tanks but I use less matrix than seachem recommends due to cost.

5. OP
    OP
    b

80ppm! I feel lucky then to have 40. I plan on buying the 4L big bucket of matrix and using as much as possible.

6. OP
    OP
    b

7. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

8. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

Yes, purigen works well. I would put the Purigen in the last basket, to help keep it clean and ungunked up. I have ready where many people suggest buying twice the purigen you need, so as to help with switching it out and recharging the Purigen. You have 1 set in the filter and the other set is cleaning/rinsing/drying for next time you switch them out.

9. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

I have a pound of matrix in my patio pond (165g) and my nitrates are never above 5-10 with five growing goldfish, from 3-6 inches now who eat a lot.

10. Beeman

BeemanNew MemberMember

I own both Matrix and Purigen in my fluval 406 and I can say that it helps greatly, especially purigen which helps remove waste that would otherwise be converted into nitrates. As for matrix removing nitrates, as great as this sounds I don't have huge amounts of success with it and prefer using live plants etc. for maintaining my high nitrates. Although matrix can grow bb that will remove nitrates most of the time this bacteria only grows in low oxygen water meaning you would need a low flow pump to really experience the best results.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice