Seachem Matrix in Aquaclear HOBs

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by fengshui, Aug 10, 2014.

1. fengshui

fengshuiValued MemberMember

HI, all, I'm wondering whats the best type of media to place in my AC50 for a 10 gallon Freshwater cherry shrimp tank. I am using sponge on the bottom, then biomax in the middle and hopefully matric in the top. So is it possible for matrix to be placed in the AC HOB at the highest flow rate of 200gph?

2. Phishphin

PhishphinWell Known MemberMember

Honestly, for a 10 gallon red cherry shrimp (only?) tank, the sponge filter suffices. The RCS bioload is incredibly low. I have a ranch of RCS in a DIY 20 gallon setup and they have been thriving with just a sponge filter. I wouldn't worry too much about the type of biomedia for your HOB. Seachem Matrix would be perfectly fine. :)

[​IMG]

3. OP
    OP
    fengshui

I'm afraid the sponge filter won't be enough since I feed a couple of wafers oftenly

4. Phishphin

PhishphinWell Known MemberMember

A single waffer lasts about 2-3 days for 50 of my RCS. I mean, you can put as much as you want in there, but much of it may just be dissolving into the water.

5. OP
    OP
    fengshui

Exactly so when they're dissolving into the water, they turn into high amounts of ammonia. And my amano shrimp always seem to fight for the food whereas the cherry usually eat the "dust" or remains of it. By the way, these wafers are mini so I put in 6 of them max.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice