Seachem Flourite Vs. Fluval Stratum?

KaitlynR

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Trying to decide between these two!

I'm planning on creating a planted, low light low tech 37g tall tank. i'm just trying to decide what substrate to use....

Thoughts? Maybe a different suggestion?

KaitlynR

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
smee82 said:
I prefer aquasoil to give you some extra to consider. Its nice and smooth so you dont have to worry about substrate feeders barbels
Good to know.

Will it help lower pH as well? if not, it's okay. But for some reason, my tap water measures at 8, and then raises to anywhere from 8.6-8.8... my tanks currently are struggling with this :L

KaitlynR

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
KaitlynR said:
I meant to ask- is this soft enough for corys/kuhlis/etc?
i just realized you already answered this. ****.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well...of course your tanks are struggling with this. The nitrifying bacteria begin to die at a pH of 8.5. Your water source must originate from a limestone well. The chemicals like "pH Down" wouldn't work because you would be adding drops everyday and to every water change and be fighting ph issues daily...I just paused to research pH lowering substrate. A lot of brands popped up. The only thing that they offered in their description was that they won't effect pH. I could not find any substrates that would lower pH. You may have to look into water softening filter media. Maybe even finding another source of water for your aquariums.
KaitlynR said:
Good to know.

Will it help lower pH as well? if not, it's okay. But for some reason, my tap water measures at 8, and then raises to anywhere from 8.6-8.8... my tanks currently are struggling with this :L

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
finnipper59 said:
Well...of course your tanks are struggling with this. The nitrifying bacteria begin to die at a pH of 8.5. Your water source must originate from a limestone well. The chemicals like "pH Down" wouldn't work because you would be adding drops everyday and to every water change and be fighting ph issues daily...I just paused to research pH lowering substrate. A lot of brands popped up. The only thing that they offered in their description was that they won't effect pH. I could not find any substrates that would lower pH. You may have to look into water softening filter media. Maybe even finding another source of water for your aquariums.
Ada amazonia and other clay based aquasoils will lower the ph. Mine sits at 6.2 and comes out of the tap at over 7, i havent measured the tap ph for yrs so i dont remember the exact number.

KaitlynR

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
smee82 said:
Ada amazonia and other clay based aquasoils will lower the ph. Mine sits at 6.2 and comes out of the tap at over 7, i havent measured the tap ph for yrs so i dont remember the exact number.
Sorry for the late reply, i was asleep.

How many pounds of this would I need?

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's interesting to hear that clay based substrate will lower your pH. I've never before been asked for pH lowering help with tapwater as highly alkaline as yours. I have a 10 gallon tank that I'll try experimenting with the clay based substrate myself just to see how effective it can be. I hope it works out well for you.
KaitlynR said:

smee82 said:

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
finnipper59 said:
It's interesting to hear that clay based substrate will lower your pH. I've never before been asked for pH lowering help with tapwater as highly alkaline as yours. I have a 10 gallon tank that I'll try experimenting with the clay based substrate myself just to see how effective it can be. I hope it works out well for you.
Ada is the best but its a bit pricy but ive used chinese brand soils that have been just as good i used abusea aquasoil in my 110g.

KaitlynR said:

To be honest im not sure, personally i like a deaper substrate so i use a bit more

KaitlynR

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
smee82 said:
Ada is the best but its a bit pricy but ive used chinese brand soils that have been just as good i used abusea aquasoil in my 110g.
Hey, if it's cheaper im totally willing to look into it. I think I need about 30 pounds, 21 pounds if i want to be stingy. Can I get that soil from amazon? Does it leach ammonia and lower pH?

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure if or were you can get it from over there, all ive used lowered the ph and leached but always check before you buy anything chinese. Also plant heavily from the get go

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom