Seachem Flourish Tabs Or Api Root Tabs

1. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Which are better? The percentages are all higher on API, but some of them I worry about messing with water parameters.

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

I trust Seachem with everything. They never scam anyone and everything they make is always backed by science. More isn’t always better.

3. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I’ve only used Seachem and am satisfied with the results they give, so I can’t compare it to anything else.

4. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

Sounds like I may have an answer. I don't ever hear much about API, which made me question them.

@KinsKicks what's your take on this? I know you know your plant stuff.

5. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

6. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

Now that you mention it, I remember that now too. He told me he used both for his red tiger lotus, which is what I'm trying to decide on a root tab for. So far it's just gotten liquid Flourish, but it's already grown a new leaf in less than a week. I'll probably add some Seachem tabs around it. Later on might give it an API.

7. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

So, API tabs have a higher percentage of macronutrients, but lack in micronutrients (except iron). Flourish is more balanced in both the macros and micros + includes a wider range of nutrients, but overall macro nutrients is lower in comparison (and, plants need more macros...hence why they’re considered macros lol). But the balance in flourish helps offset the lower macro content because plants still need their micros to grow properly.

The choice does depends on the plants you are trying to grow, substrate, liquid ferts you may be supplementing, live inhabitants, etc.

In essence, if you want a catch-all root tab that quick and easy, Flourish is probably the better choice; but, this means you might have to use it more often in order to compensate for the growth. While API isn’t necessarily bad, you should be supplementing micros so the plants are getting their entire spectrum of nutrients rather than just one kind; they can last a bit longer granted you are supplementing :)

8. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

I use both API and seachem. As stated the ingredients are different. API tabs break up far quicker and can make a real mess if dug up. Seachem lasts almost twice as long. I think my swords do better on the API tabs. Seachem cost far less though.

9. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

So basically it's trial and error until you find what your tank/plants do best with.

10. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, but there's a couple of things to consider. If you have a gravel substrate you can't use API. It just makes too much of a mess. Also cost API cost 10 bucks for 10 tabs. Seachem is 18 bucks for 40 tabs.

11. NoLookPass

NoLookPass New Member Member

I find root tabs definitely favor certain plants. I find Amazon swords and crypts really like Seachem. Stem plants like DIY Tabs and most are ok with API. Just have to try it out.

12. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

13. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I vote Seachem tabs. They last awhile and don't dissinagrate fast.

14. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Seachem lacks macros, API lacks micros, Nilocg has both (as usual).

Honestly when it comes to fertilizer I will always choose Nilocg first, because every store brand fertilizer lacks one thing or another. Nilocg bases its fertilizer on EI dosing, and EI dosing by definition includes everything, in slight excess.