Seachem Flourish Excel a good supplement to use for both iron and co2?

Little fry babies
So I was looking for an iron supplement for my foreground admnd ended up buying flourish excel that contains co2, as I don't have co2. Is thos a good supplement to use for both iron amd co2? I might have purchased the worng thing. What are your opiniond on this product? Thank you!

Jocelyn Adelman
Excel is gluteraldehyde, used as a carbon susbstitute (not a carbon dioxide sub, just carbon). Side benefit is it’s an algaeacide. Does it add carbon, who knows. Some plants are sensitive to it and can melt. It is NOT iron. If you want to stick with seachem you can buy flourish iron.

Bryangar
excel really isn’t used as an iron supplement, it’s more of an algaecide or a substitute for Carbon. Dosing excel without other ferts or good lighting wouldn’t really be helpful. You would be speeding up their metabolism and they would need more food.
I would recommend an all in one fert. Flourish comprehensive would work but you would need to separately purchase some macros and micros.

-Mak-
It's not actually CO2, it's glutaraldehyde, which is an alternate source of carbon that plants can use. However it's definitely not as strong as actual injected CO2.

And since it's just an alternate carbon source, it doesn't have anything to do with iron.

Little fry babies
Oh shoot, okay. Yeah I won't use it, then .That's the last thing I want to happen os ot to melt my plants. Id be so ****. Lol. Thanks guys . so seachem flourish os okay then?

Seachem had this ither one with what looked loke a red leaf plant on tbe bottle and it was labeled 'iron' I should habe lostemed to my intuition on that one . Back to the store I go. Agh.

Little fry babies
So I bought the flourish iron and my foteground is loving it! Starting to grow taller and some are spreading all within one day! The telanthera cardinalis plants are turning more vibrant, as well .I used half a cap full of the excel yesterday and the plants don't seem to be bothered by it. I am quite satisfied. Thanks guys!

Here's some pics of it .Sorry for the yellow looking photos. The water is not really yellow its actually quite clear not sure why the pic is yellow.

Attachments

• 20180612_193444.jpg
    20180612_193444.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 20180612_193435.jpg
    20180612_193435.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 20180612_193423.jpg
    20180612_193423.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 20180612_193413.jpg
    20180612_193413.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 20180612_193403.jpg
    20180612_193403.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 20180612_193356.jpg
    20180612_193356.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 20180612_193350.jpg
    20180612_193350.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 130
Bryangar
Looks cool. I would remove the tall ribbon plants. They’re not a fully submersible plant. they’ll eventually rot if they’re left underwater.

Little fry babies
Looks cool. I would remove the tall ribbon plants. They’re not a fully submersible plant. they’ll eventually rot if they’re left underwater.
Oh really?? It said on the bottle it came in it was fully subermisible .Okay ill find other plants then .Thanks

Oh I'm sorry I didnt buy these in a comtainer. I bought them from a shop that had them fully submersed so I'm betting its okay to be sunburned other wise the store wouldn't have them I'm there. Thanks for your advice, though.

Submersed not sunburned .**** phone.

Little fry babies
Okay so I take back that comment I left about the plants being fine being fully submersed .Although my ribbon plants have not browned at all, all my other tall ones have .I read that certain pet stores sell house plants to con you into spending money at their store and when I bought plants for my other tank they didn't brown but werent growing .So os there a site I can buy aquatic plants from that will not brown? I have been doing everything right with my plant requirements and am just confused WHY they are browning so quickly .

Bryangar
Okay so I take back that comment I left about the plants being fine being fully submersed .Although my ribbon plants have not browned at all, all my other tall ones have .I read that certain pet stores sell house plants to con you into spending money at their store and when I bought plants for my other tank they didn't brown but werent growing .So os there a site I can buy aquatic plants from that will not brown? I have been doing everything right with my plant requirements and am just confused WHY they are browning so quickly .
LOL.
can you list all the plants that you have?

Little fry babies
I don't know all the names for them as the petco didnt have tags on them .One looks like micro sword .That much I know .I posted pics to this thread. I was embarrassed to tell you I got them from petco because after purchasing the plants I read that petco is the worst one to buy from . see where honesty is the best policy on these forums
20180615_142329.jpg
20180615_142337.jpg

Little fry babies
The first plant has sand on it lol ota the back leaf that has holes in it and semI brown in one spot . but the sword like one has brown all over it .

Little fry babies
I think the tall one is a long name that starts with s .Syphg something .Hahaha

Bryangar
I don't know all the names for them as the petco didnt have tags on them .One looks like micro sword .That much I know .I posted pics to this thread. I was embarrassed to tell you I got them from petco because after purchasing the plants I read that petco is the worst one to buy from . see where honesty is the best policy on these forums View attachment 447534 View attachment 447535
I really don't know what the first one is. Some kind of sword maybe? The second one an amazon sword. It looks like you have the crown buried. It’s where all of the leaves come from.

It really doesn’t matter where you get plants. They have a nice variety of plants, you just need to know what plant you are buying.

The red plants you have, those are emersed grown cardinal plants. The submerged form is completely green so all the red leaves will die when it grows submerged. They aren’t the best aquarium plant to have. They’re really sensitive and eventually they just die off.

Little fry babies
Ah I see. So as long as I don't have the crowns completely buried theyll be fine? And yes the cardinalis I have read are very sensitive .Especially with new growth. I will have to find a site to buy plants from when it comes to foreground and medium ground.

Little fry babies
Thank you so much!

Bryangar
Ah I see. So as long as I don't have the crowns completely buried theyll be fine? And yes the cardinalis I have read are very sensitive .Especially with new growth. I will have to find a site to buy plants from when it comes to foreground and medium ground.
Yes it should be fine. The leaves that are already dying will continue to die but it will grow new leaves in no time. Check out H20Plants.com or aquariumcoop.

Little fry babies
Okay, awesome!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dechi
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishBeginner2020
Replies
Views