Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Seachem Breather Bags Review

Discussion in 'Reviews - Equipment, Products, etc.' started by scarface, Apr 8, 2019.

1. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Breathable bags are not exactly a new concept, but there seems to be a lot of confusion on how to use it and even doubts about the claims. However, I am confident that at least the Seachem brand of breather bags do exactly what the name implies. It allows breath-ability. The bags are porous enough to allow gaseous exchange through the walls. And yet the porosity is small enough to not allow water molecules to pass through. Therefore, there is no need to have any air inside the bag when it comes time to seal it, which can either be tied or heat sealed. A plus to this is not only that there is no need to have to worry about oxygen running out, but since the bag won't be half filled with water, there will be a lot less sloshing effect distressing the fish. This last one, in particular, was a very nice benefit from my experience from using the product.

I recently had a chance to test this out on a couple occasions when moving my fish. The first time it took about 3 hrs. The second time took about 4 hrs. All fish survived with no issues. Then again, even a 5-6 hr. trip wouldn't have been particularly long either, considering many fish imported to the U.S. and elsewhere take days before reaching their destination. To test the bags out further, I left a leech in one for an entire week, before I finally opened it to change out the water. The leech, as I suspected it would, survived. In fact, it didn't even appear distressed at all. In the picture below, I used a 7"x14" bag, which would work for most small fish up to 5-6", depending on the species. Also note how I tied the bag with no room for air. Hirudo verbana.jpg

2. DanInJakartaValued MemberMember

That is quite interesting as I am thinking of shipping bettas to the US.

3. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I've heard bettas can survive primarily on their gills alone as long as there is sufficient oxygen. I would definitely test it out first or look into it further.