Sea shells at local beach.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FEEESH, Aug 13, 2015.

1. FEEESHValued MemberMember

Hey guys and guys. Looking to mix up my stock and tank possible. I reside on Long Island and am looking at to just find either rocks or shells. Most likely claim shells or muscles. Is this safe to do. I'm looking to have a species only of brichardi. 4 28gal. The idea who just have a bunch of shells to be used as caves?
    Im looked around the World Wide Web a bit and see mix answers. Anyone ever done this? It seems people voice concern about salt leaching from the shell or rock? Would boiling them not be enough?
    Just a thought so far.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. delta5Well Known MemberMember

Why not use rocks or pvc pipe to make caves? I use pvc with rocks stacked around and over it to where you can't even tell there is a cave.

3. shusbandWell Known MemberMember

I use conchs and other shells in my 10 gallon. No salt leeching, I think boiling and repetitive washing should be fine for shells that are not super porous. I would not use coral skeletons.

4. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

Boiling is the method that I have used to prevent salt leaching. I recommend that you avoid coral skeletons as another member suggested. Boiling and several washes are my go-to method for adding any new decorations to my tanks. Good luck! :)

5. FEEESHValued MemberMember

Coral skeletons are not the same as the ones sold in pet store...white rocky looking. Like live rock?

Can I see a picture if possible?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  6. ricmccWell Known MemberMember

The point of avoiding coral in a freshwater tank is that it tends to be very sharp, and freshwater fish aren't used to it, so occasionally injure themselves on it. rick

7. delta5Well Known MemberMember

8. FEEESHValued MemberMember

Wow that looks great, did you glue the rocks all together of just balanced em? And is algae real on those rocks?

9. delta5Well Known MemberMember

Real algae, and I just balanced the rocks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice