Sea Shell + Small Betta = Death

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Debbie1986, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Debbie1986

Debbie1986Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +101
    So weird. I place a small shell in tank . It was one of a few spiral shells ( most were flat) an it ended up open side up somehow. I came home from work today and found a dead female Betta. She managed to fit herself in it & get stuck.

I figured she was dead because no tail movement when I picked up shell, but I gently took a hammer & cracked the shell ( surprisingly strong) and removed her body. I had purchased the shells because my snails 2 months ago had shell issues & I needed a calcium source. These were leftovers tossed in to just add interest. I never once thought a fish would try to fit in and get caught! Poor baby. I feel so bad. She was a dark purple Crowntail & very pretty.

My only pic is out of focus. Juvenile female Betta

Baby

2. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,129
    Experience:
    4 years
    Bettas are curious fish and will try to wedge themselves into things that they can't fit into so everything should be carefully considered before added into the tank.

3. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,202
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

4. OP
    OP
    Debbie1986

Debbie1986Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +101
    Thank you both. Looking back it seems obvious issue but pure thoughtless on my part.

On a good note,the halfmoon is doing better, getting a bit larger & slightly less shy. So there's progress. leaving this tank at 4 females because there seems to be harmony and no need to stress them in a new tank. I figure once the Featherfin catfish out grows the 29 gallon ( next 6 -8 months) , I'll move them in there for long term. Right now, they're very small & good as is.

Become a Fishlore Member