Sea Salt Brands

zeeter

I've seen a number of different sea salt brands and was wondering what everyone uses. I just finished off a jug of Coral Life last night. Seemed adequate, but what do I know?

Anyway, how in tune are the fish to the types of salt mixes? Do they notice and dislike a change?

Many people like Petco's brand salt, which surprises me. What are people's opinions of it? It may not be priced like the other brands, but the reviews are favorable.

sgould

I use Reef Crystals. I am not familiar with Petco's stuff, though, so I can't be much help there!

Oil_Fan

I've used 3 different brands.

Oceanic. Decent stuff. Never had a real problem with it though I did fight a bit with pH. Great calcium levels.

Red Sea. I'll never touch this stuff again. Had a big hair algae outbreak which I'm still dealing with 9 months later (though slowly winning). In talking to other people, a lot of others have had similar issues with this salt mix.

Seachem Reef Salt. Top notch stuff. Great for keeping corals. From everything I've heard, they take quality control really serious. This is the salt mix that I'm currently using.

Also Seachem is currently releasing a new brand of salt called . They actually post on the bucket exactly what the specs are for each element from the batch it came from. One of my local LFS's is getting the stuff in the next week or so and I'm going to be getting a couple of buckets. Keep in mind if you have a FOWLR tank, then a salt mix like this is overkill.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
xiholdtruex
Replies
Views
DylanM
Replies
Views
75g Discus Tank
Replies
Views