Sea Salt Against Vorticella?

BID

Hi, my shrimp have vorticella and I can't seem to catch the pet store while its open for a couple days in a row now to get aquarium salt.

BUT

I have flaked Sea Salt (fleur de sel) at home for fancy peanutbutter cookie reasons. This doesn't have caking agent in it (none are listed on packaging, unlike on table salt) and it doesn't seem that Sea Salt has Iodine it it either.

Could I use this? It'd been almost a week since I spotted the Vorticella so it's probably been longer since they've had it and I'd hate to have them any longer with it if I could help right now instead.

If yes, would I use it at the same ratio as you'd use aquarium salt?

Demeter

I used Kosher salt when I spotted a shrimp with them. A quick 10 second dip and when I put the shrimp back in the tank all the parasites had detached. I'd use the same ratio as aquarium salt.

david1978

Some of the salt we use for table salt is actually harvested from the sea. So yes its the same stuff.

Rtessy

PraziPro worked really well for me at 3/4 dose whem mine had vorticella, if you have access to amazon.com, it's on there

BID

Demeter
Thanks for the advice! I decided to take the chance and gave them now all salt baths. The worst cases got 3x30seconds, and one only got 1x 30 second bath cause it seemed fine but I wanted to be sure.

Thing is....I don't see much difference. Some improvement, yes, but no "Theyre entirely clear instantly" like it read from some posts. Maybe I was wrong? I'll have to google more I guess, in case there's something I might have mistaken for Vorticella.

Nothing like a little "Fear for your life" to get them all over the aquarium and eating again tho. Currently they're all sitting face to face at the back of the aquarium under the wood, having a conference or sth. Who knows.

Also, Javafern is evil now (since I had to catch them out of it).

Rtessy Thanks for the advice! Should it not clear up and I can definitely confirm (again) that it's Vorticella I'll give it a go!

david1978 Sorry but your response didn't help me. Being more elaborate in your replies would help to make it easier to understand. Thank you for your time though!

david1978

BID said:
Demeter
Thanks for the advice! I decided to take the chance and gave them now all salt baths. The worst cases got 3x30seconds, and one only got 1x 30 second bath cause it seemed fine but I wanted to be sure.

Thing is....I don't see much difference. Some improvement, yes, but no "Theyre entirely clear instantly" like it read from some posts. Maybe I was wrong? I'll have to google more I guess, in case there's something I might have mistaken for Vorticella.

Nothing like a little "Fear for your life" to get them all over the aquarium and eating again tho. Currently they're all sitting face to face at the back of the aquarium under the wood, having a conference or sth. Who knows.

Also, Javafern is evil now (since I had to catch them out of it).

Rtessy Thanks for the advice! Should it not clear up and I can definitely confirm (again) that it's Vorticella I'll give it a go!

david1978 Sorry but your response didn't help me. Being more elaborate in your replies would help to make it easier to understand. Thank you for your time though!
Sorry. Sea salt, canning salt, table salt and aquarium salt are all sodium chloride.

H Farnsworth

david1978 said:
Sorry. Sea salt, canning salt, table salt and aquarium salt are all sodium chloride.
But table salt is generally mixed with sodium iodine. I’ve used McCormick brand sea salt before with success also levamisole works against most tank pests

Top Bottom