"sea Monkeys"(warning Long Post, Plethora Of Questions)

1. C

Carolann New Member Member

I'm new here, but yeah, I know they are brine shrimp. :)
    So as a child, (probably around 8 if I recall correctly) my parents let me get one of those blue sea monkey kits, and I was fascinated by the little creatures. Of course I never knew, or bothered to check out what sea monkeys really were. Needless to say, when I found out they were shrimp, I was surprised. They have been my only endeavor in "aquariums" (if you wanna call 'em that) since or ever, though I have researched A LOT on bettas and aquariums and cycling and all that great stuff. (Learned my lesson long ago about jumping into pet parentship without knowledge--bunny babies x2)
    So I am kind of wanting to make a go of "Sea Monkeys" again(as pets NOT fish food). But I doubt they would last as long as they probably could in my house in the winter. See I live in Minnesota and despite heating the place, the warmest it stays is mid to lower 50's (on a nice day). We are fine with that, but I have a suspicion shrimp won't be. Therefore I need to know several things:
    1. Can I put them in a 1 gallon tank without a filter, but heat it.
    2. How low of temps can they really survive at anyhow? (Out of all my research, I can only find hatching temps.)
    3. Would I do water changes? Since they feed on they algae? I get mixed info on that as well.
    4. Could I possibly be over run with them if they find the conditions favorable for breeding? Or do they breed to their surroundings(do they notice over population and breed accordingly) ?
    5. Since planting the tank isn't really an option, what could I do to make it look nice?

I've also heard of the freshwater version of brine shrimp. How hard is it to keep Fairy shrimp? All of the above questions except 5 would apply to this as well if you have any knowledge on the subject. :)

And if all that fails and/or won't work out, what about any other non or slow breeding shrimp that are easy to keep? And what's the minimum numbers/smallest tank.

Thank you for putting up with my long post and huge list of questions!:D

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Not sure about brine shrimp and all of the other questions but you could do Amano Shrimp they don't breed in freshwater.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Really? That is interesting, and they look cool as well! What type of setup would you recommend?

4. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Amanos will be fine as long as they have some algae to feed on, but they're scavengers as well. Have you seen red cherry shrimp or any of their color varieties?

5. OP
    OP
    C

@ MattS99
    Yes I have. The blue velvet ones are absolutely gorgeous but I fear that they may need a larger tank than I have space for. How many would need to be kept at minimum? Do they over populate tanks easily?

6. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

You could do a colony of about 10 RCS and 2 amanos in a 1.5 gallon. Just buy 5 of whatever RCS variety you'll like and let them breed, they breed very easily.

7. Keystone

Keystone Well Known Member Member

If you maintain conditions properly brine shrimp will continue to breed - I know of one person that kept a brine shrimp culture going for nine years. If your culture crashes you can let the tank dry out and add (salt) water again - brine shrimp eggs survive being dried out - or you can just buy more eggs and start again.

Depending on the species of fairy shrimp you'll get anywhere from one to three generations before they stop. When fairy shrimp stop reproducing you will have to let substrate dry out or the eggs won't hatch.

If you upped your tank size to a 5 gallon you could use a heater to maintain temps during the cold season

8. OP
    OP
    C

Wow! 9 years is longer than what I had heard! In your opinion though, between the fairy shrimp or brine shrimp, which are easier to maintain? Though now MattS99 has me interested in trying RCS! Though I'm still not sure lol.

9. Keystone

Personally, I think the easiest shrimp to maintain are Halocaridina rubra - also known as the Hawaiian Red Shrimp or Opae Ula.

Ostracods - aka seed shrimp are also very easy to maintain.

If I had to choose between brine shrimp and fairy shrimp as full time pets I would probably go with brine shrimp so I wouldn't have to keep letting the tank dry out.

10. OP
    OP
    C

Are the claims of what Hawaiian Red Shrimp can tolerate true? Or just a selling point for lazy people? I mean 50 to a half gallon with no filter, heater or water changes seems unbelievable...

11. Keystone

Here's a link to a US based Opae ula web site with its own forum

Petshrimp.com

12. OP
    OP
    C

Thanks Keystone :)

13. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

If you do Cherry Shrimp/Velvet Shrimp/Neon Yellow Shrimp/Neocaridina Davidi/etc. you will need a 5 Gallon minimum as they breed so much. I would not mix same species/different color(unless all the shrimp are male) as they will breed together and make ugly brown or mush colored babies. If you get a 10 Gallon you could do-
    20 Neocaridina Davidi(Any Species)
    10 Caridinia Cantonesis(Any Species)
    10 Amano Shrimp
    or if a 5 Gallon-
    20 Neocaridina Davidi(Any Species)
    5 Amano Shrimp

14. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Just make sure the temperature stays in the 70s. 50 degrees is definitely not a good temperature for RCS.