"Sea monkeys"... help needed!!!

MaddieLynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My little sister got a sea monkey kit for her birthday. It came with the eggs, "water purifier", food, and a teeny tiny twelve-ounce tank (if you can call it a tank). Now common sense tells me that if these creatures grow to be 3/4" long and there are going to be several of them, they should have a bigger tank eventually, so I think we'll move them after they grow a little bit in the small tank, but I have a few questions:

Do they need a filter? I'm wondering if this is something like bettas, where everyone says, "Nope, they don't need a filter or anything. Just toss them in a bowl!"

Can you feed them anything else other than the special sea monkey food, which happens to cost a whopping $3 for about a tablespoon of food? The official website says anything else will kill them, but I think that's probably a lie to get more business.

Also, the website says that if you see "gunk" in the bottom of the tank, then you should NOT vaccuum it out because it is part of the natural sea-monkey ecosystem!!! I'm thinking that this could be true, if you define "natural" as rotting piles of shed sea-monkey skin that is causing a massive ammount of ammonia... but I could be wrong.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmmmm, I'm not sure meenu, but bettas DO need filters and a heated tank too .

I would guess they are as vulnerable to ammonia as other underwater species, but as for a filter, I don't think one would be small enough for the 'tank' that comes with them lol!

I wonder if I could google for more info...back soon!!

MaddieLynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They're supposedly some hybrid kind that lives longer and grows bigger, and I've seen that you're not supposed to put salt in their water... but again, I don't know anything! lol

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm trying to search for information on them - there is a LOT of conflicting advice out there.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just noticing that myself... Some say they need the salinity, some say they don't. Some say you can feed them bakers yeast dissolved in water, some say this will kill them. Somebody even said that the little packet you get with them should last a year . That however seems a little unrealistic lol!!

EDIT: They are brine shrimp!

ANGEL_Z

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
no they do not need filters they will straight out suck them in and kill them. they do not need heaters either.some people say they are brine shrimp but the site says they are a special kind. you can even use them as live food for other fish.no they do not need a bigger tank unless you really wanted to. i wouldnt feed them anything else besides the sea monkey food because i dont think there is anything else that they could possibly eat.but i could be wrong.yes there food is a bit expensive but it lastes alot because u should only feed them once every 2 weeks. you might think they get hungry but they dont. 1 day not eating for us is crazy but they have tiny stomachs and only need very little food.

MaddieLynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think the package says every 2 days. But I obviously don't trust it, so that's why I'm asking here.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OMG! You can still get sea monkey kits? I had one like a bazillion years ago!!! :shock:

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
When your sister's not looking, sneak a few to feed your fish. High in carotenes, they are.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is the strangest topic. I saw them on the back of comic books and always wanted some.... oh well maybe next Christmas

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I used to have sea-monkeys! I loved em as a kid. I had all the fancy tanks for them (the ones that are shaped like a rocket and comes with it's own tank light) and everything! In a way I guess it was a precesor for owning a great big grown up tank as an adult.

I do believe they are a kind of brine shrimp. Wikipedia has an excellent entry on them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea-monkeys As for filters I know the Sea Monkey would sell vacuums and a sort of air-stoney thing. (You have to work the air stone manually). I hope that helps somewhat.

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the instruction sheet that I had way back when, said if the water got cloudy, stop feeding for a day or so and the water would clear up. They did have the little plastic thing you mashed at the top to suck up the dirty water or mashed easily to stir up the water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom