Sea Clone skimmer

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I recently purchased a Sea Clone skimmer. Now it hasn't ran for very long but I'm concerned. Everything I read talks about "micro Bubbles" Well I have bubbles, but they aren't "micro". I don't see how what bubbles I get could make foam even if it were an old system with lot of crud. I've tried all the valve adjustment techniques I've read on-line. It has only been 2 days. Will these micro bubbles suddenly appear when it has "cycled". It seems weird to me that the venturi draws air in through the intake. Seems to me like air in the pump is cavitation and cavitation kills flow and is noisy. I'm new to skimmers so any wisdom would be highly appreciated.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Re: Anyone know anything about the Sea Clone skimmer

I dont know about sea clones but my aquaC took about 4 days to seem to do anything at all. Then it made loads of fine bubbles in the water for about 2 weeks until it settled down so let it run for a bit long and see how it goes...
good luck!

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

I ran it for 3 days and saw nothing but a gurgle of useless bubbles. No amount of adjusting (I bought a quality valve for it) got me anything useful. I read some reviews and it seemed pretty hit or miss with this skimmer. I tried some Mods but found the only thing to get foam generating bubbles was an airstone jammed down the riser tube. With this method I got decent foam but it took constant adjusting to keep it up. I did some more research (as I should have to begin with) and opted for the higher priced but much higher praised Remora. Live and learn I guess. Some say the have had resounding success with the Seaclone. Maybe it was just a patience issue, but reviews aren't always too far from the truth, and most of what I saw pointed to trouble ahead.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Good move I took a long time to choose my protein skimmer because there are SO many and loads are SO cheap - you dont realise how much price can affect the quality of such an item because you'd think they're all pretty much standard because they do the same job... but with protein skimmers I think you get what you pay for.
Good luck anyway - I hope it works out for you!

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

What a difference. The Remora has for about 3 days 3 and 1/2. I already have a little greenish goo collecting. I must say I'd advise against the Seaclone 100%. What i had going with it in 3 days would never have produced anything. Seeing what it should look like, with the Remora, I can see that the Seaclone just doesn't pull enough air to be efficient. No air no foam.
I will say that the Remora is CONSIDERABLY louder. It supposedly quites after a week or so. Oh well, I wouldn't have fish if I couldn't handle a little gurgling water. It has quited some in the 3 days.
I'd say I learned a leason here. Research research research. An important lesson in this hobbie.
I'll post again in a week or so when it gets "broken in". Tell ya what I think then.

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

The Remora has run for a couple weeks now and it has quited some but not alot. Nothing I can't stand but some may find it annoying. I get a half a container of stinky yellow green water with tons of floaters in a week. I wouldn't call it foam. I purchased the preskimmer after a week, and it seemed to help quite a bit. The water in the collection cup smells worse and has alot more floaters. I constructed a cover out of sound proof material for the sake of my roommates sanity. It is virtually silent now.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Thats a good idea!
I clean the collection cup every morning - it never smells but its very watery green. I think its the foam that collects and condenses back down to water because you can see that its foam bubbling up the tunnel.
I think yours is doing a good job y the sounds of it!

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

I know what you mean about the noise. My aquac remora is the only noisy part of my tank. I'd be interested in seeing the noise box you built for yours. Got any pics? With the well deserved popularity of the aquac skimmer you could setup a good little side business constructing these noise reducers. I've used 5 different skimmers and the aquac has been the best by far.

Mike

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Mike said:
I know what you mean about the noise.  My aquac remora is the only noisy part of my tank.  I'd be interested in seeing the noise box you built for yours.  Got any pics?  With the well deserved popularity of the aquac skimmer you could setup a good little side business constructing these noise reducers.  I've used 5 different skimmers and the aquac has been the best by far.

Mike
The box worked great but, the material was NOT water resistant. So, I used a sealant, which caused it to lose almost all of it's sound dampening effects. The materials just weren't compatible witht the aquarium world. I just live with the noise.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

yeah - me too. Still love these skimmers though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom