Sea carb instant aquarium product question

1. stanzi Initiate Member

May I please have some feedback on the Carib-Sea instant aquarium sand? I have a 45 gallon tall tank. I used 2- 20lb bags. I have a freshwater tank. According to the manufacter this product will instantly cycle my tank (or pretty close to it) Is this a wild fantasy or does this product do what it claims? I have seen spikes in amonia levels (not off the charts) they drop but the nitrites have always read 0. Is this part of a wacko cycling process or is something else going on. This tank has been up and running 3 1/2 weeks. thanks

2. James95 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!

I've used the Carib-Sea instant aquarium peace river gravel and I saw no difference while cycling the tank. It sounds like your tank is cycling normally despite the addition of the instant aquarium gravel. I would treat the tank like any other new aquarium.

Until your ammonia and nitrite levels fall to zero you need to be performing daily 50% water changes to keep your fish safe from the harsh process of cycling. Also, you will want to use a product called "Seachem Prime". This water conditioner keeps fish safe from ammonia and nitrite poisioning.

Moreover, I would stop using the bacterial balancer. Many of these products contain the wrong type of bacteria and don't help to cycle your tank. The only product that does contain the right bacteria is called "Tetra Safestart".

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you and your new fish :)

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!!!!!

I agree with james but wanted to welcome you to the forum :)

4. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

I think James pretty much covered it - Welcome to Fishlore!

5. stanzi Initiate Member

Thanks for the imput. I love this site!:;dogrun]