Se Asia Vs. S.america Biome Tanks?

Larry O'Donnell

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello all,

I currently have a 30 gallon mixed community planted tank and am looking to upgrade and expand. I really like the idea of doing separate biome tanks, specifically a South American community tank, a SE Asia semi-brackish tank and (very eventually) a North American Stream tank.

Can anyone offer some guidance and advice on species, geographically appropriate plants, general look for SE Asia vs. South America? My current set up is in my profile now, it's a pretty mixed bag but I am excited to separate them out into two distinct setups.

Thanks very much in advance!

Reed M

Reaction score
Are you hoping to do themes by continent? I'm guessing that with all the animals you have right now you might hit on more than just a couple biotopes, but doing continents is also a really cool idea in my books. Sorry I know that's not much help; just wondering which way you hope to go.

OP
Larry O'Donnell

Larry O'Donnell

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, I want to turn my 30gal mixed into exclusively Amazon Basin/South America...so mostly tetras (with geographically appropriate plants). I'd like to then make my brand new 54gal corner tank a Southeast Asian Tank (again with proper planting), so mostly barbs, loaches and perhaps killfish in that one. Here are the fish species I am thinking now.

South America:

Hatchetfish or Pencilfish

Mid-Top
Angelfish

Mid
Tetras

Bottom
Bristlenose Pleco
Cory Catfish

Inverts
Mystery and Nerite Snails

Asia Tank:

Killfish or Beta Fish

Mid Top
Gourami

Mid
Cherry/Rosy Barbs
Zebra Danios

Bottom
Hillstream and Clown Loaches

Inverts
Trumpet Snails and Cherry Shrimp

If anyone sees any reasons for these combos to not work (or if I got a geography wrong), give me a heads up but I think my initial research is proving out for them. Still doing my homework on plant species.

Thanks

New Threads