Scutariella Japonica Infestation in Shrimp tank

redtester

I observed my neocaridina infected with scutariella japonica (with those "white hairs/stick" coming out of their head) so ive heard of saltwater dipping and paraguard.

Now, Im curious as to which is better. Paraguard costs more, but with saltwater dipping Ineed to capture it and dip it for a while even then it doesnt kill the parasite's eggs right? So is it fine just using paraguard? Thanks

Oh and also, I dont have any snails or anything, I just have around 5 neocaridinas and 3 kuhli loaches. If using paraguard, is it safe to just use the dose with my other healthy shrimps and loaches inside the tank?

richiep

I've always recommended using salt dip and no one as ever come back saying they've had to re treat,
Although paraguard, Fenbendazole, planaria zero, no planaria, all work , the fact your shrimp are not in great danger id go the salt route even if you had to dip a month later, but the choice is yours

Upvote 0

redtester

Its a moderate to heavy planted tank with lots of small hiding spots for the shrimps to go which i dont think will make me trying to catch them with a net an easy job, I also dont wanna risk messing up the configuration too much so i reckon i'll just use paraguard if it works. Also I was just wondering can salt treatment be used by putting it into the tank instead of the dipping method? thanks

Upvote 0

richiep

Don't salt the tank! Use paraguard at normal dose but take into account displacement by substrate and rocks etc
Although paragard don't say its shrimp safe its known to work

Upvote 0

redtester

oh salting the tank is a bad idea. Got it. Thank you for the quick reply, I'll try and use paraguard first. I've seen like 2 get infected with the parasite already, but I dont know about the shrimps that are hiding right now

Upvote 0

richiep

If you had planaria zero its a course over 11 days and that will not only get rid of vorticella but Hydra & planaria and because of the lengthy treatment those eggs as well if they hatch

Upvote 0

redtester

Also i have to ask, is the medication safe for use if i have my kuhli loaches there? theyre known to be scaleless fish

Edit: I found seachem's FAQs about scaleless fish, they said to use 1/4 or 1/2 dose first and go for a tapering up dosage. Any experiences with these?

Upvote 0

richiep

That is correct ½ dose you can never be 100% on meds this is why I always recommend planaria zero for the main issues shrimp get and its purpose made for them and safe with all fish except snails they may die

Upvote 0

redtester

An update: the medication seems to be working. The 2 shrimps infected luckily was casually resting on a high plant, so theyre near the surface. I took a very small amount (~1ml) of the paraguard and released it near them, so i know the medication smeared their entire body. Today, both seems to have lost the white hair that is the parasite and they seem to be healthy. I also took measures to remove molts.

Now, maybe I would continue the regiment but using low doses as to be sure.

Upvote 0

richiep

Good glad good is coming, I wouldn't add anh more paraguard unless they surface again,
With such a little amount of scutariella there's no danger to your shrimp anyway, they're just annoying

Upvote 0

redtester

Good glad good is coming, I wouldn't add anh more paraguard unless they surface again,
With such a little amount of scutariella there's no danger to your shrimp anyway, they're just annoying
True, yeah maybe i'll stop here. I just want them to breed and prevent new shrimps from getting more parasites

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
EAWT
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies