Screw-on bulbs!!

1. s

s2dat Valued Member Member

Im trying to convert my 10 gallon emergency tank into a planted betta only tank. only thing is i have screw on bulbs inthe hood and the highest Kelvin bulbs i can find (home depot) are around 5000k-5100k.

i really dont want to buy another hood because this ten gallon was a starter kit and would be wasted. does anyone know any other place to get 6500K+ bulbs which can be screwed in. the total wattage of my bulbs is 28w

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I would simply keep looking through some hardware stores. I'm sure you will find something that suits your tastes eventually. Many of the bulbs won't have a K rating on them as they probably are not designed with aquarium use in mind but that certainly does not mean you can't use them for an aquarium. It will probably take a bit of trial & error to strike on one that you like but most hardware stores have lighting displays that they can plug the bulb into so that you can see the light it puts out if you ask them nicely.

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Walmart sells a 10K 10W screw in power compact bulb that will fit in an incandescent hood. It's in the fish dept. Petsmart and Petco may have a Coralife screw in PC.

4. t-ace

t-ace Valued Member Member

I get 6700k screw in plant bulbs from Lowes for my ten gallon

5. OP
    OP
    s

t-ace do you know what they are called.

harpua200 the bulbs you recommended are a little too big for my cover, thanks but.

6. Nutter

Is it possible for you to post a pic of the inside of your hood & the bulb arangment? It sounds odd that a screw in PC bulb doesn't fit. I think we are missing something here.

7. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

The ones I'm talking about fit in a standard, 2 bulb incandescent hood for a 10 gallon. I've kept several tanks like this.

8. Danionins.com

Danionins.com Valued Member Member

I've got about 40 ten gallon tanks fitted with these and they seem to work well for me.

No plants that require high lighting levels but, java moss & fern, anubias, vals, several other varieties of stem plants.

Dennis

9. Nutter

Exactly why I think we are missing something here. I would have thought the bulbs you reccomended would have been perfect.

10. t-ace

t-ace Valued Member Member

I don't remember what they are called because I have only bought them once. I found them in the same section as the flouresent plant lights though. I will be going to Lowes sometime this week and will pick up a couple of them(I need back-ups anyway!). I will give you the info on this thread once I get them. Check back, I highly recommend them. The plants in my ten gallon are doing great under them!

11. OP
    OP
    s

actually i did purchase the ones harpua2002 mentioned but they are big in the sense the water protector doesnt cover it all. maybe its just the walmart that i went to but Ill see if can i get a picture for better explanation.

i might just wait it out with my 5000k see the reaction with low level plants that i just purchased. but t-ace if you could find out the name of the bulbs you got from lowes id really appreciate that thanks