Scratches On Inside Of Tank Glass Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Marsbar, Apr 17, 2018.

1. M

Marsbar New Member Member

Hi there, when I went to pick up the 2nd hand tank it only had a couple of cm's of water in it. When I got home and got aquarium up a running I noticed bad scratching on both front and back of tank glass. Have read articles in forum but some of the remedies aren't available in NZ. The scratched are not deep but the problem I have is that I don't have a spare tank that I can put fish into in order to try and remove scratches. There is a product here called Brasso which is used for cleaning brass but also has been known to remove minor scratches on eye glasses. My funds are very limited so need something inexpensive. Anyone have any suggestions please as tank looks cloudy from a distance because of scratches?

Thank you so much

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Honestly, I wouldn't risk fixing it cause your not sure what chemicals are in there. If it was outside not a problem, but when it's inside your just not sure what chemicals are there and whether it will leach out.

3. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

Next time you buy used ask to fill and make sure there are no leaks before you buy it. That will give you the time to look for scratches as well. Like it was stated above, inside there is not really anything you can do. I would try getting money back from who ever sold it to you. Or sell it and buy another.

Sorry, ment for marsbar.

4. Velma

Velma Well Known Member Member

I agree with the posts above; there’s nothing you can really do since the scratches are on the inside of the tank. Regardless, if the tank holds water and is stable, I see no reason not to use it if you’ve gotten it for a decent price! It just may not be as asthetically pleasing as you planned. Filling the tank with loads of plants, wood, and stones should draw the attention away from the scratches.

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I know $$ might be an issues but please consider checking out the $1.00 per gallon sales at Petco to get another tank. The sale is still on but I don't know for how long.
    That's one option if you cannot live with the look of your tank right now.

The one you have will need to be fixed ( either do by yourself or have someone do it ) it will need to be buffed out and because chemicals will be involved on the inside, it will need to be carefully rinsed and monitored. Also to note, depending on what chemical you use for this, may harm your seals as well so always good to have a professional give you a quote.

6. OP
    OP
    M

ok thanks

duly noted tks

I'm in New Zealand where everything is so expensive, no Petco here. Think I will just have to put up with tank

sounds good tyvm
    It was expensive 2nd hand as new ones are sooooo expensive here in NZ. Tks for replying to my post

I'm afraid the previous owner won't return my calls and because I bought it off TradeMe no legal action can be taken, buy as is

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
  7. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

That's unfortunate. I'm sorry to hear he will not answer your calls. That just means he knows what he did. If its not to bad as stated above try your best with plants and stuff to take the attention away from them till you can get a better tank. I would send you my old 55 but the center brace broke out.

8. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Agree with @BReefer97 - there is no reason not to use a perfectly good tank if it's a bit ugly. You're supposed to be looking at the fish anyway. :)

9. OP
    OP
    M

you are so sweet, will do what I can with plants and driftwood. Thank you for your reply.

It's not ugly it just detracts from the fish as water looks cloudy because scratches all over the front glass.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice