Scratch Removal ???? Help

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Big_Bichir, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Big_BichirNew MemberMember

Does anyone know how to remove light scratches from an all glass
    aquarium ? They are not too bad, but I have it torn down at the moment
    I know acrylic can be polished do remove them, but how to fix glass??

Any tips or tricks out there?

2. LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

The only thing I've used for minor scratch repair is toothpaste. Not the gel kind. The white pasty kind.

Rub it into the scratch. Let dry completely. Buff with a soft cloth. Voila! ;)

3. strikerValued MemberMember

I never heard of that. My LPS told me to use sand paper and to sand it down until it is gone. I didn't try that since I think it will scratch it more.
    I'm going to try your idea.

4. CandymancanValued MemberMember

They have sand paper for glass. I would try looking for it in Home depot and test it on some glass like maybe dish's or a glass in your cabnit for drinking..

I have the same problem, my moms tank is 18 years old and over the years its gotten alot of scratchs down on the rock level and some higher up. My 9 year old hex is like that too, most of them are down by the rock level..

I dont notice them unless im right up on the glass so i dont care personaly.

5. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

You might try this out, if its in your price range. I saw it when I got my thatpetplace.com catalog yesterday.

Edit: I've never used a scratch remover kit, so I couldn't tell you if it works or not.

6. Big_BichirNew MemberMember

Thanks Lynda
    The toothpaste thing works pretty good.
    I was testing some other ideas too. Meguier's headlight restorer. worked awesome!!!
    Use it the same way as the tooth paste. and it got rid of some of the deeper scratches too!
    I'm pretty sure it's toxic, so I only used it on the outside scratches.

I am so pumped about getting this tank going, but against my urges, I am going as slow as possible.

7. LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

Good job with the scratches!

And very good job in approaching this tank slowly...... the rewards will be much greater. :party0001:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice