Scraper for Acrylic Aquariums?

tuggerlake26

Most of my aquariums are acrylic, and I just set up a new one a few weeks ago. I typically use a plastic algae scraper as these aren't supposed to ruin the acrylic.

Well, tonight I was cleaning my new tank. I stepped back and realized I had caused about three four inch long scratches right in the middle. I didn't have any sand on the scraper. It almost looks like the plastic was uneven. Needless to say I'm upset with myself.

That bring said, for those with acrylic tanks, what are your favorite algae scrapers?

MrBryan723

Well Known
A magnetic one with cloth. You still run the risk of getting sand caught in it if you go to low, but for the mainnparts of the glass it works well.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Yes a mag float works! Just not the ones for acrylic there worthless. Stay about an inch above your substrate. If eco complete don’t use magnet there’s metal in that. Next the mr clean magic erasers. The ones with nothing added. They do a great job.
As to scratches inside the tank you can sand them while full but it’s not easy. Best done empty.
Sorry to hear of the scratches it does suck :(. I got my first ones using the mag float to close to the eco. Something stuck to the mag and gave me a top to bottom scratch.

OP
tuggerlake26

tuggerlake26

Thanks everyone! I will check out on the magfloats. Great tip on the magic eraser, haven't heard if using them before. I'll make sure it's one with no chemicals.

New Threads