ScottsTank's 40g stand build

1. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

I'm starting the custom stand for my 40g breeder today. I'm tired of having a metal frame and I want to enclose the sump so that my cat won't jump in it; can't really enclose a metal frame and its hard to mount power strips to a metal frame. Stay tuned for pictures.

2. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

So as it turns out my drill was not fully charged at the beginning of this project and it takes 6 hours to fully charge and since I have to be at work in 3 hours I will not be able to finish this stand today. So here's what I did accomplish:

Went and bought all my supplies at the local lumber yard and they cut all the 2x4s for me. The stand is 37"x19"x28". I got 4 37" pieces, 10 16" pieces, 4 28" pieces, and 8 21" pieces and a box of 100 #8 2.5" wood screws. Total was $38. Not bad considering my current stand cost me $90 and the only wood stand for a 40 breeder I was able to track down was $180.

The supplies.
    [​IMG]

Frame of the stand. I built two identical frames, top and bottom, using two 37" pieces and two 16" pieces.
    [​IMG]

Project interrupted. This is as far I got before my drill died. two frames and one leg. I'll try again Monday.
    [​IMG]

3. Fall River Member Member

Hey Scott,
    Just a thought here, but 2 1/2" screws going through 1 1/2" of wood only goes into the second piece of wood 1 inch. Doesn't seem like a lot of holding power. Your tank will be 350-400 lbs filled. I'd go with at LEAST 3" fasteners. 3 1/2 to 4 would be even better.
    Hope all goes well.
    Dale

4. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

It should hold just fine. My buddy did his tank this way and the 2.5" screws are holding up a 300g tank. You'll see when its done there is a lot of reinforcement.

5. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

Project update:

Got the legs put on the frames.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I used eight more 2x4s to brace the corners so that the weight of the tank is held up by eight braces, four legs, and 32 woods screws instead of just four flimsy legs.
    [​IMG]

Side view of the leg braces.
    [​IMG]

Added bracing on the bottom to support the sump and bracing on the top inside the legs to prevent against any bowing.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

Funny story. The sump was just a little too big to be installed through the side of the stand. I had to take out a brace to put it in and then reinstall the brace. I guess measurements are important.

Do you think the four slats on the bottom will support the sump evenly or should I install A plywood bottom to distribute the weight? Full the sump will likely weight 150lbs.

[​IMG]

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Well, thats one way of doing it :p

I think I'd feel better knowing there was plywood under there lol

Your DIY projects are so relevant for me right now! XD

8. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure i'll add a floor. It worries me a little right now since the braces are in the middle of the tank and none are on the sides.

I had to finagle the protein skimmer to fit under the sump also. It's in there sideways but it will work and I will be able to remove the cup and empty the skimmate which is good.

I'm glad my projects are helping you. The stand was pretty simple. I'm not a very handy guy and this project was a breeze for me. I could have had it done in an hour if my drill hadn't kept running outta juice.

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like you need a new drill!

10. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

Problem is, it is a new drill. Wife got it for me for Christmas

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like you need a new-new drill then :p What kind is it?

12. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

Black and Decker Pivot

13. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Aw, well those are pretty good! I wonder whats it problem is? A dud, I guess :/ My mom has this awesome little Mikita Hammer Drill (and the normal sized drill to go with it). Thats a nice drill, and tough enough to put up with my mom LOL