Score of the century!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by soltarianknight, Dec 15, 2012.

1. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

So, guess who just went to goodwill and got a 35-40gallon hexagon tank, with a solid wood stand, for $25. OH YEAH >>THIS GUY<<

So um yeah. That happened. It is old but good. I am about to check the seals but it looks very solid. The stand is solid wood with a cabinet. I believe it is a custom made tank based of the whole set up. It came with a air pump and light structure and a plexi glass lid that fits most of the tank. Here is my questions

1. I cannot run this tank and my 29 at the same time, so i want to switch everyone over, is it possible? My current stock is
    5 gold barbs
    2 swordtails
    1 clown pleco
    a bunch of mts.

I think that even though it is a hex it is still long enough for the barbs, it is almost as long as my 29 in the center.

I also want to see if i can just use my current equipment as well.
    1 suped up 30-60 aqua-tech. I did some tampering and it runs around 400-450 gph.
    1 100w adjustable heater, brand new. Should be big enough but i also have a 50w and a 25w if needed.
    around 30lbs of gravel, 2 pieces of driftwood and so on.
    1 30" light strip.

2. If the seals don't hold, how do i replace them? They are a little beat up, i won't lie. I have a little silicone but not much. I get payed tuesday though.

3. If it doesn't hold and resealing isn't feasible, what about a killer snake tank?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

First of all, Nice score!! I need to go to goodwill more often!

As far as the barbs, I think they'll be fine in there, I'd expect them to end up utilizing all the vertical space as well. Mine are all over the place and I couldn't begin to consider them either mid,top, or bottom dwellers they are all ime.

The filter sounds like it should do well with that turnover, maybe improvise some kind of extension to get the intake lower for a tall tank if you like low intakes, I do. You sound set in the heater department as well, as long as there's not a huge differential in tank and room temp, if there is you already have supplemental heaters so I think your good there.

As far as resealing, I don't have the video link I keep seeing but I am a firm beleiver in starting from scratch, removing every trace of old silicone before resealing as, imo silicone on top of old silicone is not reliable.

Lastly, that thing was made to be a tree dwelling snake tank tank imo! I'm picturing nice foliage, branches all the way to the top and a big fat emerald tree boa curled up on a branch. :)

3. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

[​IMG]
    Next to my bath, won't fit in it so i can test the seals.

[​IMG]
    top view

[​IMG]
    worst of the seals

[​IMG] Stand. Needs to be polished/stained. I have some wood gold i can use on it.

4. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Nice!;)

5. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Good score Sol :) looking forward to updates :)

6. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

IT HOLDS WATER! At least it has, for the past 7 hours. I think ima switch everything tomorrow. I LOVE that it came with a CFL light set, cheap and strong lighting. There shall be pics for sure. This is going to look so amazing. Few questions,

How deep should i make the gravel? I know i probably won't use all of the gravel in the 29 because of the different footprints.

What could be the consequence of moving my gravid swordtail. She is very over due imo but is acting normal.

Also, the 29 is going to my beloved leopard gecko, rango. Ima need a TON more decors so i guess i should start a decorating thread for that?

7. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

one more, put a 5gal bucket in it for reference..
    [​IMG]

8. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

honestly i would still redo the silicone. it just looks bad enough to me that i would not feel comfortable with it being filled long-term. great score though

9. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

I may be redoing it. I just don't have any of the needed clamps.

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

11. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Resealed! The old silicone peeled right off, no acetone needed. I used a razor edge to clean it up though. Tapped it up and redid the seals. Unfortunately my walmart only had GE 1 silicone in white, it doesn't look bad at all though. Ill be planting the corners up anyways. Total time it took me- one hour. All my fishys will be moved tomorrow.

12. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Well done :) looking forward to seeing some pictures when it's all up and running Sol :)

13. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Question, the silicone says to wait 12 hours, it has been 24. The silicone is dry but i still smell the vinegar, any idea? Is it safe to switch?

14. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

If you can smell it its still curing, giving off acid so it could affect ph but I doubt it. I would be more concerned that the seal properly drys before being submerged so I'd wait until it doesn't smell. Sometimes this takes up to 3 days for me.

15. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

Awesome find!!! :) Yeah, I'd rip off the old silicone and reseal just to be safe. Have fun! Can't wait to see pics! :)

16. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

I ended up taking it outside to air for a few hours. No more smell. My room was a little stuffy. I got all the gravel, heater and filter moved over as well as most of the water. Now i am waiting for the visibility to return so i can finish. It is going to look amazing.

17. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

18. M0T0

M0T0 Valued Member Member

Ah Nice work!!! It looks great, I agree that it needs some more plants but excellent job so far!! thumbs up!

19. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Great job SK! Looks very nice :)

The lid...Oops! :)

Ken

20. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

Nice find sol!! It looks quite a bit like my 55gals hex. I too have fumbled the lid MANY times. I am actually thinking of getting a sheet of plexi glass cut for mine because the lid it has is getting pretty bad. It looks very nice!! God job!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice