Scooter Blenny?

llama roadkill
My LFS has a couple small scooter blennies and I wasn't sure if I should get one. If I even want another fish, it would be in a few months anyway.

Do I need a refugium? I have heard that if you have plenty of love rock and live sand you can keep them. The ones at the LFS have been trained to eat mysis too. Could I get one in my 10 gallon?

monkeypie102
I think one would be fine in a 10 gallon so long as its the only fish but know it is a dragonette so it need a lot of copepods to eat or it'll slowly starve... But if that ones trained to eat other things yup may have mote luck... How olds your tank now? I'd never ever put a dragonette in a tank younger than 8 months imo...

ZombieKeepr
Yeah, I'd say it'd be fine, but as an only fish with no competition for 'pods.

Honestly, I think only approx. year old, full of live rock tanks are really suitable for a dragonet. The bigger the pod population, the better. Also, it's a good idea to have one used to eating frozen foods as an alternative. It makes monitoring their food intake even easier[you can't see how many pods they eat, but you have an estimation based on their stomachs on if they need more food or not that you could actually provide]

llama roadkill
1 month...

I shall now play the waiting game!

monkeypie102
You could go online and order copepods to seed the tank and once it's old enough you should have a HUGE population of them... And I'd recommend looking into adding a fuge to the tank... It will help in water volume but also it will allow the pods a place to live and breed in safety! A 5 gallon fuge would be fine imo

llama roadkill
That's the thing...

I am not sure how to setup a refugium and I am very limited on space, so it can't be a separate tank. I was looking at hang on ones, but I don't know if the glass is strong enough to hold one...

Maybe a different blenny or goby.

monkeypie102
If you can find one a paired neon goby couple would be neat or a pair of fire fish... And a hang on one should he fine if you add some support to the bottom of it like bricks or something... I planned to get one for my 5 gallon pico...

featherblue
I'm considering a 1 gallon hang on fuge to breed copods for a dragonette project. I was going to build a stand for it next to the tank to help with weight concerns and bowing a tank wall.

I figured a 1 gallon breeder/fuge with a clip on plant led to keep the macro growing to feed pods.

monkeypie102
featherblue said:
I'm considering a 1 gallon hang on fuge to breed copods for a dragonette project. I was going to build a stand for it next to the tank to help with weight concerns and bowing a tank wall.

I figured a 1 gallon breeder/fuge with a clip on plant led to keep the macro growing to feed pods.
What she said! Only I want to breed them for a six line wrasse in my 26g

llama roadkill
I think I can do that. Here is what I am thinking of:

I think a pair of firefish would be cool, though. How would I go about introducing them if they are bought separately?

Also, maybe thinking a blenny. I want 2 fish MAX!

llama roadkill
Never mind! I checked out the dimensions and the smallest is longer than my tank! Lol!

Random Great Thread

Saltwater aquarium start-up series:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Latest threads

Top Bottom