Scoliosis In Puffer Help

1. Tiffany_e97 Member Member

Around a year and a half ago I purchased a green spotted puffer, at the time of purchase he was around an inch long and doing generally well. Within that time frame however, he has unfortunately developed scoliosis. This has me asking many questions and I'm hoping someone can help me out! As of today he is anywhere from 1.5-2 years old, yet remains at his 1 inch size due to his deformity. Not much is said online about scoliosis in fish, but it does say it impairs their growth significantly. Does this mean he is completely done growing? Or will his growth just be extremely slow? Since he has consistently remained at a 1 inch size this also brings into consideration tank size. Will this fish need a standard 30 gallon tank as recommended? Or is something smaller acceptable seeing he is not growing? Lastly I want to know any opinions about the "moral" factor. Is this fish in pain? Does it need to be euthanized? Currently he eats just fine, the only thing that concerns me about his behavior is that he will quickly swim up and down the walls of my tank for hours, this could be for a number of reasons however. Any information I will gladly supply just ask! All input is welcome!

2. bigdreams Well Known Member Member

Do you have any pictures? Does the fish have a bent spine? I usually associate a bent spine with disease (mycobacterium, aka fish TB) and not scoliosis.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

4. Tiffany_e97 Member Member

IMG_1873.JPG Yes I can absolutely include pictures. I at first suspected TB however his spine does not curve like a fish with TB would have, it does fit the bill of a fish with scoliosis though. He is currently in a 10 gallon aquarium, that is what I put him in when I first got him and was expecting to buy a 30 gallon when he reached a juvenile stage, however that never happened. His water parameters are:

Temp- 79 Fahrenheit
    Ammonia- 0
    Nitrites- 0
    Nitrates - Im not sure about nitrates because I haven't tested for those but I do frequent water changes so I'm not very worried.
    I have extremely hard water at my house so I use seachem prime as a way to combat any heavy metals (along with frequent water changes)

Attached Files:

5. Tiffany_e97 Member Member

Oh and salinity is around 1.006

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change?

Did you treat him for anything when you first got him?

What do you feed him, and how often?

7. Tiffany_e97 Member Member

On average I do a 30% water change weekly, this seems to work out just fine. I did not treat him for any kind of illness when I got him, he looked and acted extremely healthy. As of now I feed him new life spectrum pellets, and freeze dried blood worms, krill and shrimp. It's important to note however I just now switched him to new life spectrum, for the majority of the time his go to pellet food was wardley tropical flakes

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Puffers do need hard foods like snails to help keep their beak trimmed. You really should be offering snails and pieces of crabs and such.

I would treat him for intestinal parasites. Many puffers come with them, and that might be part of the issue.

9. Tiffany_e97 Member Member

Is there any medications specifically you recommend?

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you're in the US, PraziPro is a good option. There are many antihelminthic meds though.

11. Tiffany_e97 Member Member

Okay thank you!

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Good luck with the little one! Snails should be easy to find and feed, but getting that beak under control is very important.

13. Tiffany_e97 Member Member

Yes I'll have to order snails offline most likely, there are no areas around here to get them sadly

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Someone local or an LFS might be able to give some pest snails. You can then start your own colony (super easy), and then you'll have a constant supply.