Science Non-fiction!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kinezumi89, Jan 3, 2013.

1. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I know, I'm filled with not-fish-related things today ;)

I saw this and found it really interesting, and thought others might as well :) Things that were achieved in 2012 that were initially "science fiction" but are now fact!

I think the invisibility cloak is really interesting. It's not the first version, but previous "invisibility cloaks" required a camera and a projector; the cloak was basically a projector screen. That's not an invisibility cloak at all, you can't walk around! :;smack But this doesn't require any extraneous devices. I can see ways it would be put to use for evil things though...

Anyway, I'm the sciencey sort, so I of course found this article interesting ;)

2. Ziggi Well Known Member Member

That's REALLY cool! I want the Holodeck! :D can you imagine Guitar Hero on that?!?! oooooooh or Madden! OMG :drool: Discount prices on Superbowl Tickets for me cause no one'd leave their basement! bwahahaahahaha!!!!!

3. Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Very interesting indeed:;dete My favorite is the invisibility cloak of course;)

Question about the stem cell mice: did they continue to age longer or slow down?

4. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I haven't looked into that application specifically, but the way that aging works is thusly: at the ends of your chromosomes are regions called telomeres. When your chromosomes replicate (every 17 hours or so, as a part of normal cell replication), a tiny bit of the ends gets cut off (explaining that is a bit more sciencey :p). After thousands and thousands of replications, the amount of telomeres left decreases. People age as the telomeres deteriorate.

It's possible it has something to do with that; that they can use undifferentiated stem cells to grow telomeres and attach them somehow? I'm not exactly sure. I'd look it up but I'm playing Morrowind and Vvardenfell needs their Nerevarine ;)

5. Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Ah, so that's how aging works:;tea

I have no idea what game you're playing though;)

6. aquaticat Well Known Member Member

The Elder Scrolls are the best ;D You go kinezumi!!

7. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Depending on your age, there are a lot of things that were once science fiction, but are now fact, and some are commodity items.

Microwaves, Cell Phones, Voice Recognition (ahhh, the list from my child-hood)

The Jetsons is not that far from reality now, nor is the Minority Report.

I still think we're a little way off light-sabres though :( booooo!

If it wasn't for science fiction, where would we be? Someone had to come up with the idea, then someone else says "I reckon I can make that happen"

Just a reminder: the average calculator today has more processing power than the original computers of the late 70's that took up a whole floor of a building! We've come a long way :)