Science Fair Project - Page 4

ravenlady13

wait what?

lol my seminary teacher isn't very organized, so I havn't really learned the SM this year! xD

Isn't a seminary a school for priests? Or am I in my usual state of utter confusion?

atc84

the three of us are all members of the mormon church, and so during high school we go to a class before school to learn and apply the gospel.

FishTank Maniacz

Luckily in Utah it can usually be took during the regular school hours.

ravenlady13

the three of us are all members of the mormon church, and so during high school we go to a class before school to learn and apply the gospel.

Ah, I see. It was getting a little confusing, I thought maybe fish were a trend among student priests XD I don't think I would've attended, school was bad enough during school hours, no need to prolong the agony, but if that's what you're into, hey, this isn't a place of judgement. Just fish.

Scoutsfish

glad the confusion was cleared

Okay, so in the midst of finish.. or starting.. the board. I'm putting what GH, KH, pH and amm/trite/trate mean. The definitions for amm/trite and trate are very confusing and such. do you think i'd just be better off finding a quick explanation of the nitrogen cycle how amm converts to trite/trate? i'm just using direct definitions with little "definition here" Need opinions asap

ravenlady13

glad the confusion was cleared

Okay, so in the midst of finish.. or starting.. the board. I'm putting what GH, KH, pH and amm/trite/trate mean. The definitions for amm/trite and trate are very confusing and such. do you think i'd just be better off finding a quick explanation of the nitrogen cycle how amm converts to trite/trate? i'm just using direct definitions with little "definition here" Need opinions asap

Well, since it IS a science project, I'd put the definitions in a brief form and also explain the nitrogen cycle. You can get short, simple definitions from dictionary.com

Scoutsfish

Its finally finished!! Got to sleep a little after 2am... woke up at 6am.

I put each definition as well as a quick picture showing fish food-waste-ammonia-nitrite, nitrate plants water change etc.. its near the top of the board too. Well I gtg finish my english hw...:/

Scoutsfish

The 10 gallon received about 2 50% water changes about 30min-1hr apart, and all the shrimp were moved to the 10 gal. The plants were rinsed off to get excess nastiness. The 5 gallon was vacummed to try and start getting the dirt out. New water was put in as the old was taken out. It's going to take a few more water changes to get the dirt out in each tank, by then the shrimp will be added to my other tanks. The snails future is yet to be decided...

Now that the 5 gallon is free... I think it's time to upgrade my 15 to the 25, move elvis to the 5(until 10's set up), and start moving my fishies around Both the 25 and 10 are going to be walstads. No more sand in the 15 either, 60-80% black gravel, 20 ish % natural color in the 25, not mixed together. Black in front, natural in back- separating at a curvy diagonal line little behind the middle. 10 gallon will be black gravel, natural color path and divided for elvis and another betta

ravenlady13

What kind of snail? I've had bettas before (2 of them, separate 1.5 gallon tanks, didn't know better, sorry) and they seemed to enjoy the company of their respective mystery snails. My joke was that the snails were the bettas pets.

ravenlady13

I have 2 MTS in my 55. Nice little guys, but I wish I had some idea how they got in there lol I literally noticed them before I'd even finished filling the tank, no plants or substrate had been added, and the tank had sat in my basement for 5 years and housed geckos before that.

Scoutsfish

Exactly! They appear out of no where!!! Maybe your water had them? I'm pretty sure mine came from an amazon sword I got at petco. The one time I don't rinse my plants I get snails! At night time, I can remove 10 just on the glass. That is, if as long as I'm not being too lazy about it. I'm sure if I we're to put cucumber in I could get 30 but.. we don't have any right now.. maybe eventually.. I did find by putting an air tub in overnight then out in morning, it takes like 6 out a time

The shrimp seem much happier to have cleaner water, and the tank looks much better without all that algae.

ravenlady13

My tap water probably doesn't have snails..... I hope....

JoelTRG

I vote on talking about the nitrogen cycle

Scoutsfish

Just thought id give a needed update!

The school science fair went great!! There were 4 judges. The first gave me 68/100, 2nd gave me a 99, 3rd 100, and 4th 86. Or something. It was a 99 and 100 for sure though. The one judge apparently knows fish stuff and was very excited when they saw my project

Out of around 12, I got 2nd in the biology category. I moved on to state which is this Thursday! I need to do some studying up before hand, hopefully it goes well!

Sadly elvis passed soon after getting the 10 gallon up, but kermit the adf and elvis' neighbor marvin and all the ghost shrimp love it! I've been too busy and lazy to get the 25 up, so for now all the 15 has is 5 cories. The 5 gallon is a qt for my 2 neons(other 8 died-ich) and the million snails in there..

Anyway ill let you guys know how it goes!!

endlercollector

Congratulations! I'm glad those judges recognized the quality of your work. Good luck at the state level!

atc84

Congrats!

Scoutsfish

I just realized that I never let you guys know how I did at state! The judges all seemed to love my project and I got nominated for 7 special awards:Utah Veterinary Association Award, Outstanding Achievement for Ability and Creativity in an Atmospheric Science Exhibit, Stockholm Junior Water Prize, RICOH Environmental Science Award, Association for Women Geoscientists Student Award for Geoscience Excellence, Research Design Award and Scientific Journal Award.

I won the Women geoscience award (also got it last year) and my friend got 2nd in the utah vet one I also got 2nd place in environmental Science(which included $75)! I also got this $25 gift certificate to something in a random drawing they were doing

According to my mom, after judging someone was looking at my project while talking on the phone to someone saying how 'it's the exact same' or something.. Don't know what that was about.. I didn't see any projects like mine. Eh oh well. just made me curious.

I think that next year I may want to do something more.. scientific or something. I would like to do something on the veterinary side of things, considering that is what I want to be when I grow up(most likely.) However after doing all of these projects I'm looking into studying environmental science, geology, biology etc. -to become a vet I believe I have to major in biology anyway. I mentioned to one of the judges that I'm thinking of going into environmental science when I am older and they laughed and said that I basically was one already! Idk how true that is, but that's good with me!

I want to thank everyone who helped me throughout my project with any help, ideas, support and so on. I couldn't of done it without you guys!!

p.s. atc, I got a male guppy today that looks a little like the one in your avatar, any idea what its coloring is called?

atc84

That's awesome how well you did! I have no idea, lol I think it's just a special breeding pattern. Are you going to breed him?

Scoutsfish

Thankyou!

I'm thinking about getting a female guppy or two and putting up a little summer livebearer pond up outside with platies and guppies/endlers. I'm getting 3 or so male endlers too. I think that guppy is an endler guppy mix

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
Chewbacca773
Replies
Views
Gage
Replies
Views