Sci-fi Tank Theme Ideas?

Lysander

A tad bit of back story, my absolute favorite TV show is Dark Matter. I won't get into it because I'd go on and on, but look it up, it used to run on Syfy and is still on Netflix. Anyway, my favorite character from the show was Five and she had this green blue hair. So I was thinking of designing a tank around this color and a general space theme. Basically, I want a sci-fI fish tank with a lot of blue-greens.

I'm just not sure how to go about it. I did a little looking around online and I really can't find much in terms of decorations. The best I came up with was getting colored lights and doing a DIY backdrop(tips?).

Anyone tried anything like this or have any ideas? I don't have a specific tank this will be in, it's still in the abstract, I suppose, so I'm just looking for ideas, not many limitations.

Speaking of limitations, here they are:
- Sci-FI themed
-Greens and blues
-Fish safe
-Tank won't be bigger than 20gal

That's it, really.

I'm planning on making this a community tank, but I'm definitely adding a betta. Ideas for fish/invertebrates that would work well with the theme and bettas would be nice too, but no pressure!
((Mega bonus point if you know the show and have any show related ideas!!))

Thanks for any help!

EDIT:
Current Ideas/Suggestions
-Colorful lights(idk what color yet)
-GLOfish
-GLOfish black gravel
-Other GLOfish... stuff
-Lego spaceship

CMB

A tad bit of back story, my absolute favorite TV show is Dark Matter. I won't get into it because I'd go on and on, but look it up, it used to run on Syfy and is still on Netflix. Anyway, my favorite character from the show was Five and she had this green blue hair. So I was thinking of designing a tank around this color and a general space theme. Basically, I want a sci-fI fish tank with a lot of blue-greens.

I'm just not sure how to go about it. I did a little looking around online and I really can't find much in terms of decorations. The best I came up with was getting colored lights and doing a DIY backdrop(tips?).

Anyone tried anything like this or have any ideas? I don't have a specific tank this will be in, it's still in the abstract, I suppose, so I'm just looking for ideas, not many limitations.

Speaking of limitations, here they are:
- Sci-FI themed
-Greens and blues
-Fish safe
-Tank won't be bigger than 20gal

That's it, really.

I'm planning on making this a community tank, but I'm definitely adding a betta. Ideas for fish/invertebrates that would work well with the theme and bettas would be nice too, but no pressure!
((Mega bonus point if you know the show and have any show related ideas!!))

Thanks for any help!

I've seen people put Legos in tanks, so what about getting a small Lego ship and using it for decoration? (note: you must built the Legos in the water, otherwise they will float). Then, you could just have some funny lights. Also, if you're trying to make it like weird and space like, what about GLO fish? They look pretty alien, and I think that the decorations and lighting match your theme pretty well.

Also, I really liked Dark Matter, though I preferred Killjoys.

Lysander

I've seen people put Legos in tanks, so what about getting a small Lego ship and using it for decoration? (note: you must built the Legos in the water, otherwise they will float). Then, you could just have some funny lights. Also, if you're trying to make it like weird and space like, what about GLO fish? They look pretty alien, and I think that the decorations and lighting match your theme pretty well.
Legos would be cool, I'll look into it. I don't know if I want to build a star wars ship for the tank, seeing as that's most of what Lego sells, but I could probably make a design myself.
GLO fish sound neat. I don't know much about them, other than they.... glow. I'll check that out too. I to really like the black gravel that the brand makes, so I'll put that on my list as well.

Also, I really liked Dark Matter, though I preferred Killjoys.
I never got into Killjoys myself, but I've heard good things. When Syfy cancelled Dark Matter, I refused to watch it out of pettiness, but I might give it a go.

CMB

Legos would be cool, I'll look into it. I don't know if I want to build a star wars ship for the tank, seeing as that's most of what Lego sells, but I could probably make a design myself.
GLO fish sound neat. I don't know much about them, other than they.... glow. I'll check that out too. I to really like the black gravel that the brand makes, so I'll put that on my list as well.

There aren't a lot of them, but I've seen not start wars Lego space sets. There's a shuttle set, you could take the ship from that, then design the rest of the tankwith an alien planet look. Just an idea.

The glo fish are actually genetically modified fish. They're not dyed or anything, so it doesn't hurt the fish. They're pretty cool, I think. Good luck with the tank ideas, and please post pictures once you've got it up and running!

I never got into Killjoys myself, but I've heard good things. When Syfy cancelled Dark Matter, I refused to watch it out of pettiness, but I might give it a go.

Yeah, I really like the main lady, she's kind of awesome. They are two completely different shows, though, so I could understand why you might like one but not the other.

Arrakis

Oh, a Si-FI tank sounds really cool! Especially with a planet backdrop. I would caution you about putting a betta in with GLOfish though, one of my roommates tried it and it did not end well. We ended up separating them and the betta got his own little 5 gal and was fine.

CMB

Oh, I didn't set the Betta. Unfortunately, most of the glo fish are fin nippers, so you're probably correct. If it's a 20, you could try African Dwarf Frogs with the Betta, that's the perfect size for them and they're supposed to be pretty awesome

Lysander

Oh, I didn't set the Betta. Unfortunately, most of the glo fish are fin nippers, so you're probably correct. If it's a 20, you could try African Dwarf Frogs with the Betta, that's the perfect size for them and they're supposed to be pretty awesome

I’ve been interested in frogs for a while, so that might be perfect, actually. I heard the glofish can do that, too, but not always. Some recommend shorter finned bettas, but I’m not sure if I wanna risk it. I like the frogs, though

I’ll for sure be posting pictures when I’ve got it up. Probably won’t be for a few more months, but I’ll get there!

CMB

I’ve been interested in frogs for a while, so that might be perfect, actually. I heard the glofish can do that, too, but not always. Some recommend shorter finned bettas, but I’m not sure if I wanna risk it. I like the frogs, though

I think that you could get a whole little frog colony going on that tank, so I would recommend going for it if you like them! Be sure to make sure you can get them I'm your area, though, apparently no one is allowed to sell them in Virginia . I don't know what you could add in addition to the Betta and frogs, maybe someone else could help with that.

Lysander

I think that you could get a whole little frog colony going on that tank, so I would recommend going for it if you like them! Be sure to make sure you can get them I'm your area, though, apparently no one is allowed to sell them in Virginia . I don't know what you could add in addition to the Betta and frogs, maybe someone else could help with that.

Oh cool, I live in DC. There’s a 50/50 chance I’ve seen the sold before. I feel like I’ve seen them around, but I can’t remember... I’ll look into it, though. They’re such funny guys, can’t help but find them charming.

Yeah, I really like the main lady, she's kind of awesome. They are two completely different shows, though, so I could understand why you might like one but not the other.

I watched the first episode, I really liked the characters in both. I think I never put in the time for killjoys cause I was on Dark Matter. I’m a very ‘one show at a time’ person

CMB

Oh cool, I live in DC. There’s a 50/50 chance I’ve seen the sold before. I feel like I’ve seen them around, but I can’t remember... I’ll look into it, though. They’re such funny guys, can’t help but find them charming.

If you're in DC you can probably get them near you, or at least travel a little ways north to get them. I think the reason you can't find them in Virginia is because there was a small salmonella outbreak here (because, they are, after all, frogs). I wouldn't worry about it too much, just look/ask around, I'm sure that someone will have them.

Lysander

S
If you're in DC you can probably get them near you, or at least travel a little ways north to get them. I think the reason you can't find them in Virginia is because there was a small salmonella outbreak here (because, they are, after all, frogs). I wouldn't worry about it too much, just look/ask around, I'm sure that someone will have them.
Shouldn't be too hard, then. Thanks for the help!

wintermute

It probably doesn't really fit, but the first thing that popped into my head was the sperm whale and bowl of petunias falling from space as a backdrop

Perhaps a nebula (I'm sure there are posters) would make a good backdrop, this site might have some inspiration

Tony.

Lysander

It probably doesn't really fit, but the first thing that popped into my head was the sperm whale and bowl of petunias falling from space as a backdrop

Perhaps a nebula (I'm sure there are posters) would make a good backdrop, this site might have some inspiration

Tony.
Haha, hilarious, I loved that book! And thanks for the resource.

CMB

Tony.

That's just perfect, I love it. Now if only I was doing a soccer themed tank and somebody actually made those

BReefer97

If you’re any good with Polymer Clay (Sculpey brand specifically is what I know about) you can sculpt your own decor. Polymer clay is ONLY safe once it’s fully baked and cured though, with NO clear coating. It’s essentially fancy PVC and it won’t change your water chemistry. It’s only considered not food safe because it’s porous and can harbor bacteria, which is actually a good thing in aquariums. there are a few members here that have done really nice builds using some polymer clay.

And I don’t think you can’t find the frogs due to a salmonella outbreak. Most all amphibians and reptiles carry salmonella (literally 90+%) in their guts naturally, it doesn’t effect them but it can effect us. Always wash your hands with soap and water after handling any amphibians or reptiles I’ve seen ADFS for sell at reptile shows and expos so you could try looking there!

I would suggest ember tetras for your tank. They get along with betta fish and I think their orange coloration would go really nicely with the blue/green space theme you’re looking for! They’re also really small and have such fun personalities.

CMB

If you’re any good with Polymer Clay (Sculpey brand specifically is what I know about) you can sculpt your own decor. Polymer clay is ONLY safe once it’s fully baked and cured though, with NO clear coating. It’s essentially fancy PVC and it won’t change your water chemistry. It’s only considered not food safe because it’s porous and can harbor bacteria, which is actually a good thing in aquariums. there are a few members here that have done really nice builds using some polymer clay.

And I don’t think you can’t find the frogs due to a salmonella outbreak. Most all amphibians and reptiles carry salmonella (literally 90+%) in their guts naturally, it doesn’t effect them but it can effect us. Always wash your hands with soap and water after handling any amphibians or reptiles I’ve seen ADFS for sell at reptile shows and expos so you could try looking there!

I would suggest ember tetras for your tank. They get along with betta fish and I think their orange coloration would go really nicely with the blue/green space theme you’re looking for! They’re also really small and have such fun personalities.

That's a good idea, I didn't realize you could use sculpey in your tank. Also, for the salmonella outbreak thing, apparently a lot of people didn't realize that their kids could get salmonella from these guys (I don't know why, people are silly about stuff like this), and there was a big ( a whole 200 people or so, which really doesn't seem like that many to me, but it was a big deal) salmonella outbreak a few years back. I'm not saying that I'm 100% sure this is why it's so hard to get them in some states, I'm just saying that there have been rules made over dumber things, and it seems to fit. I do know that the outbreak definitely happened, though. Here's a link to the CDC website talking about it: https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/2011/water-frog-7-20-2011.html

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gus47
Replies
Views
Teishokue
Replies
Views
Claire Bear
Replies
Views
BabsandLoon
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Are you curious how people dechlorinate water when using a python water changer? See this thread:
Dechlorinating Water While Using The Python Water Changer

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom