Schoutedeni Puffer In 26 Gallon Tank?

1. B

Breeee123 New Member Member

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and first off wanted to thank everyone for sharing their puffer experiences... I’ve been researching puffers for a while and this site has been a great resource.

On to my question. I am considering getting a Schoutedeni puffer and was hoping for some advice/feedback on whether my set up would be adequate. I was originally thinking about getting a few dwarf puffers but I’d really like to be able to get an algae eater such as a Pleco or some ottos to keep In the tank as well. After reading some horror stories I started to worry the DP’s could be aggressive with another fish and I’m not really comfortable throwing a Pleco to the sharks, haha. So I started second guessing my original dwarf puffer plan and I thought the more peaceful schoutedeni puffer might work better.

I have a 26 gallon Fluval bowfront with the longest side being 24 inches which I’m halfway through cycling. I’m growing out a ton of plants now so it will be heavily planted. I have totally fallen in love with the spotted Congo puffer but they grow to 4” and I’m worried the tank might be a little too small, especially if I get an algae eater as well. The tank gets a lot of sunlight so algae grows like crazy. I keep hand cleaning it from my glass but it’s harder to clean the driftwood and plants. Plus I just like little Bristlenose Plecos and imagine one would be really happy in my algae filled tank. :)

Right now I have a Fluval C3 hang on back filter and a sponge filter, but I’m open to replacing the hang on back filter with a canister filter if that will make my set up more doable.

Any thoughts on keeping a spotted Congo puffer and Bristlenose Pleco together in a heavily planted 26 gallon?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help!

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Yes, I think you should be okay with a BN with the pleco, just keep in mind that while they tend to be on the nicer side, it doesn’t always mean that all of the puffers will be nice; some may turn out more aggressive than others. The BN has a slight advantage through simply being faster (and I’d avoid any of the long fin varieties and provide a few hideouts/caves as well).

The only thing you may have trouble with it the puffer itself. If you mean to get a true Tetraodon Schoutedeni, you are going to have a difficult time finding one, and if you do, they are very expensive!

3. OP
    OP
    B

Breeee123 New Member Member

Thanks for the feedback! I had found them at worldwide fish and pets for $180 but looks like they just sold out unfortunately. Most of the YouTube videos and posts from Scoutedeni owners seem to show them in 50-75 gallon + tanks... I know they’re intelligent and curious fish so I keep worrying that a 26 gallon tank would be like a small jail cell to one of these guys and that they’d be unhappy. Has anyone kept them in a similar tank size successfully?

Because of this, I’m still debating whether to go the pea puffer route. Has anyone had success keeping them with a Bristlenose Pleco? Or seen them get aggressive with one?

Thanks again!