Schoutedeni Puffer In 26 Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by Breeee123, Apr 25, 2018.

1. B

Breeee123 New Member Member

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and first off wanted to thank everyone for sharing their puffer experiences... I’ve been researching puffers for a while and this site has been a great resource.

On to my question. I am considering getting a Schoutedeni puffer and was hoping for some advice/feedback on whether my set up would be adequate. I was originally thinking about getting a few dwarf puffers but I’d really like to be able to get an algae eater such as a Pleco or some ottos to keep In the tank as well. After reading some horror stories I started to worry the DP’s could be aggressive with another fish and I’m not really comfortable throwing a Pleco to the sharks, haha. So I started second guessing my original dwarf puffer plan and I thought the more peaceful schoutedeni puffer might work better.

I have a 26 gallon Fluval bowfront with the longest side being 24 inches which I’m halfway through cycling. I’m growing out a ton of plants now so it will be heavily planted. I have totally fallen in love with the spotted Congo puffer but they grow to 4” and I’m worried the tank might be a little too small, especially if I get an algae eater as well. The tank gets a lot of sunlight so algae grows like crazy. I keep hand cleaning it from my glass but it’s harder to clean the driftwood and plants. Plus I just like little Bristlenose Plecos and imagine one would be really happy in my algae filled tank. :)

Right now I have a Fluval C3 hang on back filter and a sponge filter, but I’m open to replacing the hang on back filter with a canister filter if that will make my set up more doable.

Any thoughts on keeping a spotted Congo puffer and Bristlenose Pleco together in a heavily planted 26 gallon?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help!

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Yes, I think you should be okay with a BN with the pleco, just keep in mind that while they tend to be on the nicer side, it doesn’t always mean that all of the puffers will be nice; some may turn out more aggressive than others. The BN has a slight advantage through simply being faster (and I’d avoid any of the long fin varieties and provide a few hideouts/caves as well).

The only thing you may have trouble with it the puffer itself. If you mean to get a true Tetraodon Schoutedeni, you are going to have a difficult time finding one, and if you do, they are very expensive!

3. OP
    OP
    B

Breeee123 New Member Member

Thanks for the feedback! I had found them at worldwide fish and pets for $180 but looks like they just sold out unfortunately. Most of the YouTube videos and posts from Scoutedeni owners seem to show them in 50-75 gallon + tanks... I know they’re intelligent and curious fish so I keep worrying that a 26 gallon tank would be like a small jail cell to one of these guys and that they’d be unhappy. Has anyone kept them in a similar tank size successfully?

Because of this, I’m still debating whether to go the pea puffer route. Has anyone had success keeping them with a Bristlenose Pleco? Or seen them get aggressive with one?

Thanks again!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice