Schools / Shoals ...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TombedOrchestra, Apr 22, 2018.

1. TombedOrchestraValued MemberMember

This is probably the most basic (leaning on stupid!) questions.... but...

I know most fish like to be in schools or shoals. So, I had 4 dalmation mollies but 2 died... so now I have 2 lonely ones.

I went and bought 2 'regular' mollies of a different color. Is a 'dalmation molly' and a 'molly' the same type of fish, they just look different? I don't see them swimming together as the others used to.

Or would the dalmation mollies actually school better and feel more comfortable with other dalmation mollies?

2. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Mollies found in the local petstore are the same speices, just different strains or varieties- basically different colours. You'll find that mollies from different groups - like tanks - may not shoal with eachother. Similar happened with my guppies. But it also may be due to maturity differences...

3. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

There aren’t any bad questions, all questions are worth asking and getting an answer.

4. 123Valued MemberMember

Ah, yes :) It is 15 gallon now :) It is also with two honey gourami ladies ( I suspect one of them is a male actually).

I know the tank is small for the gouramis .... but it was the petstore that told me i could keep 3 honey gouramis in 8 gallon tank with 6 rice fishes. :sorry: I quickly realized my mistake. Now the dominant male has his own tank. And the ladies are in the 15 gallon with the rice fishes. And the rice fishes look a bit 'lost'. That's why I want to add more, but at the same time, the tank could use a bit of 'neon spark/color'.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice