Schools out?

1. J

Joeyfishguy Valued Member Member

I have 12 rummy nose and they don't seem to school, I don't mind just wondering if it's odd, like are just scattered around the tank in 3-4. Groups, they are the only fish in the tank so maybe it's bc they feel safe?

2. TwoTonedTanker

TwoTonedTanker Valued Member Member

Probably, or they are holding grudges against the other fish, lol

3. Greener907

Greener907 Valued Member Member

It could very well be that they feel safe enough to separate into smaller groups..have you thought about adding more? What size tank?

4. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Most schooling fish school tightly when they feel threatened. When they feel safe they separate

5. OP
    OP
    J

That makes sense, and it's just them right now I'm trying to get ideas for tank mates that won't be mean and are fun friendly fish, I was thinking 2 rams

Oh 40 gal planted

6. Greener907

2 rams would be a good addition, have you thought about adding something like a couple of dwarf gourami?

7. Dave125g

You took my idea I was gonna say DG

8. Greener907

Haha, great minds!

9. OP
    OP
    J

I was thinking pearl grommi

10. Greener907

Out of all the gouramis the pearls are on the lesser aggressive side of the spectrum, so if you want a full size gourami, pearl is a good choice. Plus they're beautiful :)
    Just watch for the other fish nipping at it's fins.

11. OP
    OP
    J

I'd really perfect a ram tho but iv read conflicting reports on there aggressiveness, iv had one b4 and he was fine but I don't want him being alone so id have to get two and I'm not sure I wanta make the right disscion

12. Charles556

Charles556 Valued Member Member

If you want to get more than one ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi), I'd advise going with a male and female pair. If you get a same gender pair, you'll most likely see territorial aggression between the 2.

My GBR pair never attack any other fish, except when they're spawning. Even then, it's mostly just chasing off other fish

13. Greener907

You really can't be 100% sure with them. I had a pair of german rams and they were fine, peaceful. and I have a pair of bolivians that I have with cory cats, mollys, platys and they are good with them too. If you want two, try to get a M/F pair. If you can, have the guy at your LFS watch them for a minute, if there's a male and female hanging around eachother, they're probably a pair, and get them. IME, they are only kind of aggressive towards fish with similar behavior, and usually not too terribly aggressive, but can be when they're spawning.

14. Dave125g

Also aggression levels differ from individual to individual. You can never be sure

15. OP
    OP
    J

That'd be so cute having little babies!!