Schooling Questions

Discussion in 'Silver Dollar Fish' started by AnglerLuke, Jun 9, 2019.

1. AnglerLuke

AnglerLukeNew MemberMember

I have a green silver dollar fish. He needs some friends. Unfortunately green silver dollar fish are difficult for me to come by. Will he school with other silver dollar fish comfortably? Perhaps even try to breed? I am cycling a larger tank to house my fish, and would like to make him more comfortable in his new home. Thanks for any advice. june 9th 2019 221.jpgjune 9th 2019 228.jpg

2. jehorton

jehortonValued MemberMember

I have had some fish since starting this hobby that are closely related to other fish in their tanks but not the same and none would ever school. That being said , they can get along. Depending upon the fish of course but somehow they know the difference.

3. OP
    OP
    AnglerLuke

Thanks for the info. I have some time before the tank swap, I will do some driving today to local LF,s and see if any have some greens...I feel bad he is lonely, if only I had done more research before bringing him home but alas, this is how we learn.

4. OhDaniGirl

OhDaniGirlValued MemberMember

If your lfs doesn't currently have any in stock, perhaps they can order a few for you. Never hurts to ask.

5. OP
    OP
    AnglerLuke

That's a great idea! I never even thought of that. I am scared to do online purchases when it comes to something like this. I am new and have had enough trouble already lol. The upside is I am learning a lot and will be better able to tend to my buddies as time goes by.

6. OP
    OP
    AnglerLuke

Well, with roughly 120 miles on the truck, 3 LFS in 2 states...no green silver dollars. Guess my little buddy will have to hang on for a bit before his friends arrive lol

7. jehorton

Honestly buying online is better than going to most LFS. Aquabid is a great website to buy from. You can see the sellers ratings and reviews. All fish are shipped to LFS. They are a middle man.

8. OP
    OP
    AnglerLuke

Really? For some reason I pictured it as mad scientists developing fish from test tubes or something. I will most certainly look into this aquabid site and do some research. Thank you very much for the info!

9. jehorton

Na most are hobbyists just like you and I. They just breed their fish. The right way too.