Schooling Question

1. Cathy B Initiate Member

I know (now) that I should have at least 5 black skirt Tetras for them to be "happy" and school-I have 3. My one blue and my one green skirt tetras (BTW- bought before I knew how they got that way) are schooling with them, but my pink is always off hiding by her/himself.
    Do they differentiate by color? Are they all just Tetras to each other? if so what about the pink one Ms. Strawberry is always by herself I feel bad for her.
    everyone else seems fine; although as they grow I may need to get another tank. I will NEVER listen to the help ay my FS again.
    Thanks for your help.

From a reply i realized i should explain better I have:

1 pink skirt always off by her/his self
    1 blue skirt
    1 green skirt

3 black widow.

2. fresh water Member Member

So they are colored black skirt tetras, the dyed ones? If so the color dosent last that long they will go back to normal color in maybe 6 to 8 months, anyhow the color shouldn't matter they should all school together, you just need a few more of them to get them to school. A school of 6 seems to work well with the black skirts. What size tank is it. I haven't looked at your profile yet

3. Cathy B Initiate Member

29 gallon

maybe I should've explained better.

1 pink skirt
    1 blue skirt
    1 green skirt

3 black widow.

4. fresh water Member Member

Not sure if the black skirts will school with the black widows

5. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

Most of the schooling fish will only school if there is a more aggersive fish in the tank with them. Not so aggersive that it will eat the tetras but just enough to keep them in a pack that's there defense so to speak, power in numbers! Ha. But if there's not they will wonder alone ish. If that makes sence

6. Cathy B Initiate Member

Black widows and black skirts same fish different names both (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)

7. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

+1 I agree. Schooling behavior normally comes out if they feel a threat in the tank

8. Cathy B Initiate Member

So I guess it's a good thing they aren't schooling a lot just kind of hanging out together.

9. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Threat is a relative term, my neon tetras will school with guppies in the tank, while my Kerri tetras didn't school until my angelfish started to grow a little bigger.

10. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Tetras not schooling

:confused: It is so true, my tetras do not school at all, but it is a community tank with nothing threatening in it at all. I am actually kind of disappointed, maybe I should through in a cichlid to get them to school!! LOL

11. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

12. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

That's what I was going to say
    +1 soltarianknight

They would most likey school if you added a dwarf gourami

13. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would take a look at some larger fish for that tank, heck even a nice Kribensis would work well or a pair of them.

Really its all about making them THINK there is a threat in the tank and they will school.

14. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

well, theres also the fact that some fish are just shoalers.

15. Cathy B Initiate Member

I really can't add anymore fish, and I don't really care if the school, i was under the mistaken impression that they weren't "happy" unless schooling. It would be to crowded. As is I have to bring back one of my red tails. They're fine hanging out together now, but I'm afraid what will happen as they get bigger. Of course my FS didn't warn me of the facts, but that doesn't excuse me for not doing the research on my own. live and learn.