Schooling info on barbs (cherry,rosy&gold)

1. ravenxcore Well Known Member Member

I want to start a barb tank (cherry barbs, rosy barbs & gold barbs) and I'm hoping somebody can fill me in on the numbers I'd need to keep. Do I need to keep them in full schools (6,6&6) or will they stick together? In other words will my fish still be happy if I kept say 4 Rosy Barbs, 8 Cherry Barbs, 4 Golden Barbs?

Also I'm considering smaller breeds of corys such as Panda's or Pygmy. Ideally I'd love Albino's but I think I'd be pushing it. Any thoughts?

It'd be a 30 breeder.

2. Charchar2 Member Member

The barbs all need full schools (6+) of their own species, though I'm not sure that 3 schools in the same area is recommended in a 30g.

3. ravenxcore Well Known Member Member

I'm hoping to get more information on that as well. I've only kept cherry barbs in the past in a large school of 13 and never had an aggression problem. I've read that rosy barbs and gold barbs are both pretty docile compared to tiger barbs. Of course I've seen tanks with all three species and lower numbers (not complete schools) but who knows if they worked out or not?

4. Amanda76 Member Member

Hi, I've got five cherry barbs (I bought six but one didn't last long) and six harlequin rasboras. The cherry barbs don't school together, they pretty much do their own thing and explore the whole of the tank. Occasionally one or two of them will swim with the rasboras though but not for very long. The boys do like to chase each other to prove who's boss but they never hurt each other. They get on well with my amano shrimp as well. I've read that the cherry barbs get on well with other barbs but I guess it all depends on the particular fish.

You're supposed to be more careful about male to female ratios in smaller groups so that the females don't get too stressed from males chasing them. I've only got one female and find that the boys don't bother her too much as they're too busy doing their own thing and chasing each other. Oh, and they really seem to like swimming through the big shrimp tubes I have! Hope this helps :)

5. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd stick to 2 species of 8-10 each in this tank size. You don't have to pick a smaller cory species but I wouldn't get pygmy corys since they tend to spend more time in the mid region of the tank.

6. ravenxcore Well Known Member Member

I've kept cherry barbs previously, so I know they don't really school, which is why I was wondering if gold and rosy barbs were simular. Thanks for the info =)

I don't think this tank size would support 8-10 rosy barbs? They can get double the size of cherry & gold, right? And good call on the pygmy, I've only kept them once a few years ago and they didn't last long since I was new to the hobby at that time, so I didn't get a chance to feel out their personalities as much as other corys. I was thinking of doing 5 rosy barbs, 7 cherry and 7 gold. This is still just a though, I don't even have a tank lined up, I'm really just in the planning stages now.

7. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions of the tank?

You're right that the rosy barbs might get too large for this tank size but I certainly wouldn't keep them in anything less than 6 to a species especially not with two other schooling species. The gold barbs might be too large as well.

If you don't have the tank yet, a 48" long tank would be better to house these fish together.

8. ravenxcore Well Known Member Member

48" isn't an option. I have a 40 breeder now with a double stand that will fit a 2nd breeder on the bottom. I'm choosing a 30 breeder because it's shallower and more room for water changes, a 40 breeder on bottom would be too high and a bucket wouldn't fit lol. The demensions would be 36 long, 18 wide, 12 high.

I don't HAVE to do a barb tank, but I've been eyeing rosy barbs for a LONG time. Any other recommendations on what I could keep with a school of rosy's and a school of corys (really leaning towards albinos) would be appreciated. I want a active tank that isn't crazy stocked. The fish I'm not interested in keeping in this tank are... neon tetras (have them in another tank already), snails of any kind, shrimp of any kind, guppys, & mollys.

9. Katy82 Well Known Member Member

I agree! I had Rosy Barbs in a 48" tank and they used every inch of space. If you were to get a larger tank and go with them, I would recommend a ratio of 1M:2F as a minimum. The males are quite persistent, very entertaining to watch though! I loved these fish. Definitely 6 as a minimum, once our numbers dwindled due to old age they were not early as active. We recently rehomed our last 2 to a friend with a large school of them and as soon as they were in a big group again all their energy came right back.

10. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

You might be able to do just the rosy barbs by themselves of about 8. I wouldn't add any other mid dwelling schooling fish though.
    tyguy7760 could probably give you a good stocking suggestion.

11. ravenxcore Well Known Member Member

Meh, think I'll just revise my stocking options than or stick with the tanks I have atm.

12. ravenxcore Well Known Member Member

Sadly I just found out that the 30 breeder isn't included in the dollar per gallon sale =( Not sure if I want to put another 40 breeder on the bottom of my stand. UG

13. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Why? Because it's a bit taller?

14. ravenxcore Well Known Member Member

Yes, the 40 breeder is 16" high, while the 30 breeder i believe is 12" high. Those extra 4" are invaluable when trying to plant/tank scape, and do water changes using buckets. I don't use a syphon to do w/c's, so putting another 40b on the bottom of my stand with a 40b already on top might be too tight. Also I remember having a problem with dimension's once. I purchased a 40b a few yrs ago to put on the bottom and for some reason the tank must have been a half inch bigger than my other 40b and didn't fit on the bottom stand. It's the same brand that petco sells so I don't want to purchase it, just to find out it doesn't fit and lug it all the way back

15. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

To the OP concerning Barbs: not a lot of people realize, but Rosy Barbs actually grow to 6 inches in length in the wild. It aquaria, it is rare for them to reach or exceed 3, but that's still quite large for a 30 gallon tank. I believe it is a matter of volume and water flow.

If the stand has four angle iron legs, then it is not made for two tanks of the same base dimensions. You cannot get the same size base between the angle iron legs that are supporting the top. So if that's the case, the 30 breeder isn't going to fit, either.

As for your water change method, it is rather unusual. Most people who say they are using buckets are siphoning water from the tank into a bucket. I can't imagine that you could effectively clean the substrate by dipping a bucket to remove water. Siphoning is not that difficult, there are even self-starting siphons for sale.

16. ravenxcore Well Known Member Member

I've used syphons before, but I just prefer using buckets. When I do my water changes, I mix up the gravel (I only have a very thin layer of substrate, maybe 50lbs? maybe a little less?) I wait 2-3 mins for my canister to suck up whatever it can, pump the canister to clear out anything in the bar, than use a large 5g bucket to pull water. change 50 - 60% than refill. If the water looks cloudy or if I have food particles about the water I use a net and smaller bucket to clear. Me and syphons never got along lol

As far as the stand, it's a double stand, meant for a 2nd stand on bottom, it is iron as you mentioned. I did notice that some breeder tanks vary in size (example 36.2"x18.1"x16.4) depending on the brand of the tank. I assumed that the stand was specifically made for the tank and that's why it didn't fit the first time? What size tank would I be able to safely fit on bottom with proper support?

17. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I have a double stand, but it doesn't have angle iron for the front legs. It has a bunch of fancy rolled iron at the ends, so that there is nothing blocking the front. If that is what you have, the tank should have fit. It can be tricky to get it in, as you have to go perfectly straight in and keep the tank square. If you have angle iron legs on the front, you will have to go with a smaller tank, and put a board on the lower part of the stand for the tank to sit on. A picture would answer some of my questions.

Siphon phobias are not uncommon. Some people fear sucking tank water, though IME you have to be really clumsy to do that. Some people have a problem with forgetting that the siphon is running, and accidentally draining the tank onto the floor. I have solutions to avoid both.

18. ravenxcore Well Known Member Member

lol. I've used them before and even with the clip that's "supposed" to secure the other side of the tube to the bucket, I end up with water on my floor. In my head, it's easier to just use the bucket. My reasoning... if I use a siphon I have to fill the bucket, lift the bucket (which will now weigh around 40 lbs full), bring the bucket to the sink and dump. If I just use the bucket and dip it right into the tank, I don't have to dead lift 40lbs, I already have it at my chest level so it's easier to carry.

19. ravenxcore Well Known Member Member

I'm going to have to make friends with a siphon for the new tank though since I'm going to plant it heavily. Guess there's just no way around it haha

20. Vichu Member Member

Try school of 6 melon barbs(puntius faciatus) as well peaceful and not nippy though...!