Schooling Fish

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have 2 zebra danio females (I lost 3 of my original 5). When my tank re-stabilizes, I would like to get a few more schooling fish for them to hang out with. Is it best for me to just get a few more zebra danios, or would they still school with other fish (like other kinds of danios, or guppies)? I just wanted your thoughts on this.

Thanks!
Sharon

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
With Danios, there are several varieties that are extremely similar (Zebra Danios, Leopard Danios, and the yellow ones), and some people have reported that they will shoal together. However, it is always best to have 6 of the same species. Guppies would not work--that is to say, they would be fine tankmates but wouldn't shoal with them.

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply--I ended up just getting 4 more zebra danios, so they made a matching set! ;D They are zipping around like crazy! I just wish they weren't so psycho sometimes and slow down so I can look at them better!! But I knew that about them when I got them! Everyone's doing well, and since my little girl got to name the others I let her name these. So Cinderella & Ariel are now joined by: the 2 males, Sebastian & Flounder; and 2 females, Belle & Princess Aurora. (Um, can you tell that she's totally into Disney Princesses???!!!) ;D

Sharon

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LOL

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom