Schooling Fish With Pleco

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by acb, Apr 8, 2017.

1. acb

acb New Member Member

Hi, I'm new here to posting but have been reading for quite awhile. Thanks for all the information. My question is what I can put with my 7" pleco? Right now he is the only occupant of a 55 gal. I know I will eventually have to move him to a larger tank, (he's gone from 20 gal. to 40 gal) but for now the 55 is the best I can do. I was wondering if I could put a small school of danios with him safely. . He's been in his new home for about 6 months, I have driftwood and his caves, but it is not planted. (artifical only) He has never been with other fish. Meatball has always been alone. Thanks
    Anne

2. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

WELCOME to Fishlore!!!

What type of pleco? If this is a common he will need at least a 6 feet tank :)

What type of danios?

3. OP
    OP
    acb

acb New Member Member

I believe he is a common Pleco. My grandson got him from Petco when the fish was a baby. It outgrew his 10 (which is why I now have him, several years later) and has been moving up ever since. I know he'll need a bigger tank but that's not doable at the moment. I was just wondering about other small fish with him since he is in his cave most of the daytime and on the prowl at night

4. OP
    OP
    acb

acb New Member Member

I know he'll need a much bigger tank just can't do it right now. My grandson got him from a store when the fish was a baby. He outgrew the 10 gal. tank and came to live here. I was just curious about a school of small fish, not sure what, since Meatball spends his days in his cave and prowls around at night.

5. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Danios should be ok, what type did you have in mind?

Remember he'll need 180 gallons minimum as an adult.

6. OP
    OP
    acb

acb New Member Member

meatball.jpg I need some suggestions for type of danios. He's about 5 years old now, how old before they are considered adults?

7. Al913

He is already an adult :)

But you should be looking for another tank right now since he is already out growing the tank!

8. OP
    OP
    acb

acb New Member Member

Yes, we already talked about that. My question was in regard to danios but thanks.

9. BottomDweller

How long is your tank?

Do you want small danios or large?

If it's long enough you could have giant danios. You could have a large school of celestial pearl danios or gold ring danios. If you wanted a mixture you could have zebra, leopard and glo danios, they will school together because they are the same type of fish just different colours.

10. OP
    OP
    acb

acb New Member Member

The tank is 4 ft. long. I was looking at zebra for my 20 gal. long but decided to keep 3 cherry barbs and 5 cory cats instead. I do like the zebra and will look into the leopard too. How many would you recommend without overtaxing the system. I'm not sure what the filter is, but it's rated for 100 gals. Thanks so much.

11. BottomDweller

Cherry barbs and cories need to be kept in groups of 6+ by the way.

Well you've already got a very high bioload because of the pleco. Are you planning on putting any fish with them or just the danios and plecos? If it's just the danios and plecos I'd probably do about 15 zebra/glo/leopard danios or about 20-25 CPD or gold ring danios.

12. OP
    OP
    acb

acb New Member Member

No, no other fish. Just Meatball and the danios. The 29 gal. just completed it's cycle a few weeks ago,so I am adding fish slowly. Hence the 3 cherries, but I didn't know they should be kept in 6+. They are fascinating to watch, schooling but not really lol I will most definetely get 3 or 4 more. Love cory catfish. Have to add another 1 of them too. Thanks for the solid advice.

13. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Plecos are nocturnal and territorial but don't normally bother tiny fish.

Any mishap would most likely be accidental and unlikely.

You would likely have a problem if you were to add any larger diurnal fish as the pleco would probably chase them at night (I stayed up at night to see this happening and it was scary!).

14. OP
    OP
    acb

acb New Member Member

Nope, I want peace and harmony. Is that your clown? How big is he? Beautiful fish

15. Al913

The zebra danios should be a good choice since they stay in the upper areas and are fast moving fish

You could also do barbs such as tiger, cherry, or gold.

16. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would do 8-10 zebra danios and 8-10 leopard danios, it would be a cool mix. They're both the same species, just different color variants.

Instead of that, you could also do 8-10 giant danios and 8-10 pearl danios (Danio albolineatus).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice