Schooling Fish Suggestions

FishyFishy15

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We have a 29 gallon planted tank and we are looking for some suggestions of a schooling fish to add to our Guppies, Platys, single Molly, and ghost shrimp.

The tank has mostly green plants with a couple red plants and has fluorite dark gravel so we are looking for something to offer a little bit of color to the tank that will match

OP
FishyFishy15

FishyFishy15

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Currently we have about five platys but some of them are juvenile and we have about six fancy guppies all males and then one large Molly who has had several batches of fry and we've rehomed all of the surviving fry, lastly about 5 Ghost Shrimp which are all we can ever seem to keep alive out of many more ghost shrimp.

The Rover

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oliver T. said:
tetras, cories, rasboras, barbs (they fin-nip tho) and danios
Not all barbs fin nip. Cherry Barbs are peaceful and don’t nip but other like Tiger Barbs will so do your homework if you go with Barbs. I love my Cherry Barbs. Great color and fun. They aren’t the tightest schoolers in the world tho.

OP
FishyFishy15

FishyFishy15

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd love corys but with fluorite I'm told the substrate is to sharp. Was looking at cherry barbs but wanted other options

Oliver T.

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The Rover said:
Not all barbs fin nip. Cherry Barbs are peaceful and don’t nip but other like Tiger Barbs will so do your homework if you go with Barbs. I love my Cherry Barbs. Great color and fun. They aren’t the tightest schoolers in the world tho.
what I mean is that usually at stores (well maybe just at my Petco and Petsmart) they sell only tiger barbs which are notorious for fin nipping

Liquidhorses

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Definitely recommend the neon tetras. They're not only bright and colorful, but very cute and energetic! They're very hardy and fun to watch- I have 7 in my 29 gal! Good luck! I also hear harlequin rasboras are a good shot. Both have low bioload!

AustinS

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Liquidhorses said:
Definitely recommend the neon tetras. They're not only bright and colorful, but very cute and energetic! They're very hardy and fun to watch- I have 7 in my 29 gal! Good luck! I also hear harlequin rasboras are a good shot. Both have low bioload!
Cardinal tetras are a good choice as well, they are very similar to the neon tetra and I've heard they are more resistant to diseases.

New Threads