Schooling Fish Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Brokenshadows34, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Brokenshadows34

Brokenshadows34Valued MemberMember

Hey, guys! My profile is still not updated, I haven't had the time to change it on my computer for a very long time.

Again, I have been away from this site for a while, but since my last post, I've added a variety of plants to my 45 gallon, and a really cool rock. With those, and my driftwood and a few other decorations, my tank is finally starting to look pretty decent!

Right now, the only fish I have are one young angelfish, a beautiful gold dwarf gourami, a single female Molly, and one oto. I know otos need a shoal, I will get more the next time I have a chance to go to the LFS that sells them!

I was wondering if there were any interesting, colorful, and active schooling fish that can add some movement and more color to the tank.

Or, any kind of fish, really, schooling or not. More cichlids would be great, too. I'm open to consider anything you guys suggest or recommend!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Cherry barbs and a ton of different types of tetras. I am personally a big fan of cherry barbs. Lemon, daimond, pristella, rummynose, and von rio tetras are also favorites of mine for schooling fish. Also danio's and harlequin rasboras are very common and popular.

I'll leave cichlid suggestions to others that are more experiences with them and angelfish. Not sure if the common dwarf cichlids and such are compatible.

You also may want something to clean the bottom. A nice school of kuhli loaches or cory's would fit.

3. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

And every tank should have a BN pleco. :p Sorry ,my current favorite fish. I like all those suggestions for schooling fish. Welcome back..I have harlequins and they are really nice hardy peaceful fish and hand around the middle all the time. You could also do a school of all male cherry barbs. Alison

4. tyguy7760

I have a school of all male cherry barbs now (5) and plan on upping that soon. I really enjoy watching them, especially when they have their dance offs. No aggression whatsoever to any of the other fish (not even the guppies). They will chase each other from time to time but never any damage.

5. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

If I had the room I would do an all male school. The males are such a pretty shade of red. Alison

6. OP
    OP
    Brokenshadows34

I've never kept barbs before. Do they need any special kind of care, and would they get along with my angel even when he grows?

7. tyguy7760

I would think so. Typically other barbs are pretty nippy so I wouldn't suggest any other barbs (at least not tigers) with an angel. But I have seen 0 nippy behavior out of my cherry barbs. And them being with guppies leads me to believe they won't nip anything if kept in a proper school

I feed them omega one protein flakes as the staple. No other special care required. Very hardy fish. I did a fish in cycle with them and they are still going strong. Haven't lost a single one.

8. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

I have 12 male cherry barbs and I haven't seen any nipping or aggression either. They're in with a pearl gourami, which has long fins, and they leave him alone. I also have a school of espei rasboras (lambchop) with them.

9. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What are the dimensions of the tank? I would go with congo tetras, depending on the dimensions....

10. OP
    OP
    Brokenshadows34

It's a cube-shaped tank, so it is as long as it is wide. The height is slightly shorter than the length/width, but not by much. I forgot the exact dimensions, though.

11. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I haven't seen a lot of mention around here for Checker Barbs (Oliotius oligolepis), but they are small (under 2 inches), not nippers, and quite adaptable to a variety of conditions. They do school very well, and males are not bad looking. They used to be extremely common, and I do still see them around. I've never noticed them eating plants, either.