29 Gallon Tank Schooling fish stocking options for 29 gallon

Bristlenose420

Hello everyone! I am looking for schooling fish to partially stock my standard 29 gallon tank with. pH is 8.0, temperature is 78-80. The tank is lightly planted with open areas as well as hiding spots. I am looking for something hardy that can withstand my higher pH and TDS, as well as beginner mistakes I may make, lol. The only other fish in the tank is a 1” baby bristlenose. Right now I’m stuck between glolight danios (not glofish, but a lesser known danio species), bloodfin tetras, and possibly harlequin rasboras as these are all fish I can order easily from Flip Aquatics. I am definitely open to more suggestions though!

SparkyJones

Danios or Barbs I think can handle the higher pH and school. for the tank size I'd go with danios which are the smaller species, even small barb species can get 2-3" per individual which will be a problem to have a decent school of them in a 29g.

the GH is the issue with a lot of these fish, not the pH or TDS.

You could probably do a pretty large school of chili rasbora, they need 1-2dGH though to thrive, but they have a good KH range and pH range.

Chilis, you could probably do like 6 per 5 gallons, 35-40 of them in a school in your tank. if you can get a decently low GH.

You know, the ones that Flip sell are acclimated to their parameters, they are running
  • Ph: 7.2 to 7.5
  • Gh: 8 to 16
  • Kh: 4 to 7
  • TDS: 180 to 250
  • Temp: 70 to 74
they run them cool but the fish range from 68F to 82F. they also claim they like acidic water but they don't keep them in acidic water.... odd. just odd that they show opposite parameters to what the species would really like to have. they are technically blackwater, low pH fish, I dunno, really need to do your homework I think to figure out whats gonna work out the best.

Bristlenose420

Unfortunately my GH is pretty darn high as well, but that’s good to know. I was drawn to the bloodfins because they supposedly keep them at pH’s up to 8.0 which would at least somewhat match my water. Idk though I’m not completely sure.

SparkyJones

Unfortunately my GH is pretty darn high as well, but that’s good to know. I was drawn to the bloodfins because they supposedly keep them at pH’s up to 8.0 which would at least somewhat match my water. Idk though I’m not completely sure.
take your time, don't rush into something that's not a good fit.
look at some fish that catch your eye and then check out if they will work with what you got going on.

There's always blind cave tetras LOL! seriously though you could only keep maybe 7 of them in the 39g, ;) and you can save money on lighting also!

Bristlenose420

I’ve always loved blind cave tetras but heard they were super tricky to keep- is that true?

TClare

I’ve always loved blind cave tetras but heard they were super tricky to keep- is that true?
I don't think so, though they might be a bit nippy, there are some videos about them on Youube that might be helpful.

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom