Schooling Fish Stocking Help - Can’t Keep Neon Tetras Alive

Icebear59

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I’ve had my neon tetras for 4-5 days and 5 have died off since then. I now have 10/15. My parameters are perfect. I’m just thinking it’s bad stock because they were only going for $1 a pop, so maybe the LFS knows that they are weak. Anyways, what schooling fish do you recommend that is much more hardy than a neon? Rasboras?

OP
Icebear59

Icebear59

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
LynnwoodFishDad said:
I’d try for a bigger tetra variety. Also, danios might work.
What about some black neons or rasboras look cool. I had danios before and I didn’t like how “aggressive” some can get to others in their school.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Your parameters are good so I think you just got a bad batch.

Try some cardinal tetras, they're extremely similar (in my opinion more appealing) than neons and are hardier, not to mention they are better suited for the same temperture ranges as your other fish.

OP
Icebear59

Icebear59

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fahn said:
Your parameters are good so I think you just got a bad batch.

Try some cardinal tetras, they're extremely similar (in my opinion more appealing) than neons and are hardier, not to mention they are better suited for the same temperture ranges as your other fish.
Yeah, my neons never come out in the middle to swim. They just school in a corner in the back of the tank. I’m thinking maybe some type of rasbora? My LFS doesn’t sell cardinals.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
is this for the 25 gallon tank with the ram and cories? You are running out of room there. I weould call it overstocked.

Neons are sensitive overbread, over rated. are you planning to return/rehome the ones you have? or are you planning for a new tank, if so what size?

Danios are super active fish, you need to have a good size/length tank, for them, 48 inches ideally and a larger then average school, 10+ ideally, and you should not see aggression between them unless they are breeding.

Black neons are nice, they are not closly related to neons other then the fact that they are tetras. They get larger then neons. and are fairly hardy.

OP
Icebear59

Icebear59

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Noroomforshoe said:
is this for the 25 gallon tank with the ram and cories? You are running out of room there. I weould call it overstocked.

Neons are sensitive overbread, over rated. are you planning to return/rehome the ones you have? or are you planning for a new tank, if so what size?

Danios are super active fish, you need to have a good size/length tank, for them, 48 inches ideally and a larger then average school, 10+ ideally, and you should not see aggression between them unless they are breeding.

Black neons are nice, they are not closly related to neons other then the fact that they are tetras. They get larger then neons. and are fairly hardy.
Yeah it’s for my 25 gallon. I’m pretty sure my other 10 tetras won’t make it if they are dying off so fast, so I’m sort of creating a back up plan. If they don’t end up passing away then I’ll not put any more fish in. Black tetras would probably be too big for my tank now that I think about it.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neon Tetras can be good hardy fish if healthy ones are obtained.

The problem is that 50% of them come with a virulent form of Columnaris from the fish farms.

Retailers have reported losing 50 per day from their tanks.

Following complaints from retailers about their devastating losses a study was funded which found that Columnaris and not NTD was the cause of the mortality.

New Threads