Schooling Fish For My Discus Tank

  • Thread starter

Aquariumhobbyist_

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
7
Points
3
I have an 80 gallon tank with a few Discus and 1 Bolivian ram. Can somebody recommend a good schooling fish to go with? I’m looking for some thing different, I’m tired of neon tetras and cardinals lol I’m looking for something a bit bigger and with nice color
 

Attachments

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
2,520
Points
288
Experience
2 years
You could have 10 rummynose tetras or blue king tetras. I wouldn't recommend any bottom dwellers due to the gravel in your tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Aquariumhobbyist_

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
7
Points
3
Discus-Tang said:
You could have 10 rummynose tetras or blue king tetras. I wouldn't recommend any bottom dwellers due to the gravel in your tank.
I’ll check those out, I am gonna get Cory’s but I’m gonna swap out the brack gravel for black sand. Thank you for your recommendation though
 

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
2,520
Points
288
Experience
2 years
Aquariumhobbyist_ said:
I’ll check those out, I am gonna get Cory’s but I’m gonna swap out the brack gravel for black sand. Thank you for your recommendation though
Ok, that should work

I recommend sterbai cories since they like high temperatures that discus thrive in.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Aquariumhobbyist_

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
7
Points
3
I was thinking pandas
Discus-Tang said:
Ok, that should work

I recommend sterbai cories since they like high temperatures that discus thrive in.
I was thinking pandas, do you think that would work?
 

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,379
Reaction score
5,887
Points
448
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pandas need 75f or cooler so no
Stsrbai or bronze cories would work

For schooling fish rummynose, diamond, lemon tetras would work. Or boesmani rainbows.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Aquariumhobbyist_

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
7
Points
3
BottomDweller said:
Pandas need 75f or cooler so no
Stsrbai or bronze cories would work

For schooling fish rummynose, diamond, lemon tetras would work. Or boesmani rainbows.
Thanks for the info!
 

RSababady

Well Known Member
Messages
1,314
Reaction score
731
Points
128
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquariumhobbyist_ said:
I’ll check those out, I am gonna get Cory’s but I’m gonna swap out the brack for .
I keep discus and Cories are GREAT friends to have for them for a couple of reasons.
  1. you can have a large group of cories which looks nice.
  2. cories are so entertaining and happy, which brings a balance to the tank with slow moving, very pompous looking discus.
  3. cories can eat food of the bottom in places where the discuss because of their shape and size cannot reach.
  4. cories will also eat red blood worms that you probably feed to your discus
Go for cories - lots of different sizes and colours to choose from.
 
  • Moderator

Coradee

Moderator
Messages
17,018
Reaction score
4,418
Points
508
Experience
More than 10 years
I’d suggest C.sterbai if you’re wanting corys, they’re often kept with discus as they can handle the high temperature better than most others.
If you feed beefheart (as many discus keepers do) though then any cory species you have is possibly going to suffer health problems as it is far too high in protein (& the wrong kind) & fat for them.
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Messages
18,630
Reaction score
12,571
Points
798
Experience
More than 10 years
Discus-Tang said:
You could have 10 rummynose tetras or blue king tetras. I wouldn't recommend any bottom dwellers due to the gravel in your tank.
20 - 30
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Messages
18,630
Reaction score
12,571
Points
798
Experience
More than 10 years
Coradee said:
I’d suggest C.sterbai if you’re wanting corys, they’re often kept with discus as they can handle the high temperature better than most others.
If you feed beefheart (as many discus keepers do) though then any cory species you have is possibly going to suffer health problems as it is far too high in protein (& the wrong kind) & fat for them.
Woohahahaha wanted to post the "beefheart-advise" and then saw yours.
Getting freacky Coradee you reading my mind.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom