Schooling Fish For My Discus Tank

Aquariumhobbyist_

Reaction score
Discus-Tang said:
You could have 10 rummynose tetras or blue king tetras. I wouldn't recommend any bottom dwellers due to the gravel in your tank.
I’ll check those out, I am gonna get Cory’s but I’m gonna swap out the brack gravel for black sand. Thank you for your recommendation though

Aquariumhobbyist_

Reaction score
BottomDweller said:
Pandas need 75f or cooler so no
Stsrbai or bronze cories would work

For schooling fish rummynose, diamond, lemon tetras would work. Or boesmani rainbows.
Thanks for the info!

RSababady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquariumhobbyist_ said:
I’ll check those out, I am gonna get Cory’s but I’m gonna swap out the brack for .
I keep discus and Cories are GREAT friends to have for them for a couple of reasons.
  1. you can have a large group of cories which looks nice.
  2. cories are so entertaining and happy, which brings a balance to the tank with slow moving, very pompous looking discus.
  3. cories can eat food of the bottom in places where the discuss because of their shape and size cannot reach.
  4. cories will also eat red blood worms that you probably feed to your discus
Go for cories - lots of different sizes and colours to choose from.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’d suggest C.sterbai if you’re wanting corys, they’re often kept with discus as they can handle the high temperature better than most others.
If you feed beefheart (as many discus keepers do) though then any cory species you have is possibly going to suffer health problems as it is far too high in protein (& the wrong kind) & fat for them.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Discus-Tang said:
You could have 10 rummynose tetras or blue king tetras. I wouldn't recommend any bottom dwellers due to the gravel in your tank.
20 - 30

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Coradee said:
I’d suggest C.sterbai if you’re wanting corys, they’re often kept with discus as they can handle the high temperature better than most others.
If you feed beefheart (as many discus keepers do) though then any cory species you have is possibly going to suffer health problems as it is far too high in protein (& the wrong kind) & fat for them.
Woohahahaha wanted to post the "beefheart-advise" and then saw yours.
Getting freacky @Coradee you reading my mind.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom