Schooling fish for hard, high pH water?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FuzzyMuffin, Jul 18, 2015.

1. F

FuzzyMuffin New Member Member

Hello,

I have a 50gal walstad tank, planted heavily. It currently has 3 pearl gouramis and 1 small rupperlip pleco. I have very hard, high pH water at 8.2, and I'd really like a unique, tight schooling fish, but I know most like slightly acidic water. I've only found Emerald Rasbora that actually seem to like my kind of water, but they're so small, I'd like something a little larger.

Does anyone have ideas or personal experience they'd like to share?

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Many fish in the industry are now captive bred and are very tolerant of a wide variety of pH. The bigger issue is making sure the pH is stable, rather than achieving perfect numbers.

With that said, rummynose tetras are pretty nice for tightly schooling fish.

3. Aqua Hero

Aqua Hero Well Known Member Member

its stability that counts not so much your ph. the fish will adapt. you can get emerald rasbora 6 minimum

4. P

Paul1976 New Member Member

Dwarf neon Rainbowfish are a nice schooling fish when they've matured and show their best colours and don't mind water that is more alkaline. :)

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I agree with Paul, rainbowfish would be nice. As would congo tetras.
    What are the dimensions of the tank?

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you're willing to go with non-schooling fish, your tank seems pretty ideal for a pair of Kribensis cichlids. They like hard, basic water. They are beautiful too.

7. OP
    OP
    F

At least I'm lucky enough to have an incredibly stable pH. Even when I had my water stained with tannin from driftwood the pH didn't budge. I really wanted rummynose tetra, but after talking to the fish store and doing research online, I don't think I'll risk it. They just seem too sensitive.

I'll have to look into the congos and rainbowfish. The dimensions of my tank are 4ft long and a foot deep, but I'm not sure how tall it is.
    And thanks for the suggestion TexasDomer, but I'm really hoping to stick with schooling fish, I want to make sure the pearls stay the center of attention. :)

Thank you everyone for your help so far!

8. Anders247

No problem!

9. SnyperTodd

SnyperTodd Valued Member Member

I wouldn't be afraid of Rummynose tetras at all if that's what you want. They are tight schoolers and lots of fun to watch. My kids (ages 5, 8, and 9) have a tank that they maintain themselves (under decreasing supervision from me) with a school of rummynoses (all of which are named "Spiderman") that are doing fantastic. Our water is hard/high pH also.

10. OP
    OP
    F

I just tested my water again today for gH and kH as I couldn't quite remember, but it's very high. It took around 25 drops for each test to change colors, and if I read it correctly that means they're each at about 400ppm.... Does anybody still suggest rummy nose?

11. Anders247

I have neons in my GH of around yours.... and those are even more sensitive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice