Schooling fish for 50 gallon

1. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I am wondering what kind of schooling fish would go well in my 50 gallon. I really like some tetras but ive heard stories of some schooling fish all killing or hurting each other. My current stock is:

2 otos
    1 RTS
    1 Sword tail female
    2 female mollies
    1 male molly
    1 x ray tetra
    3 cory cats
    2 male platies

I just rehomed my GBR's and....also I had a death.....my DG died from a bloating infection.

Anyway I was thinking of some serpae tetras but they seem not as a tight schooler that I would like. Any ideas? Thank you! :)

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't have any experience with the fish you have. So I don't know about compatibility. I personally really like harlequin rasboras and I love ghost catfish schools. They are awesome.

BUT....while we are on the subject of schools....shouldn't that x-ray tetra have a school? I would definitely get more cories as well as they are shoaling fish. :)

3. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Yes that was on my list of gets. I was thinking of getting 3 more of different colors. The x ray tetra that I have...killed its other partner. He would bit into the other one and ripped it apart so it could barely swimand one morning I caught him eating at him. I feed the tank twice a day and i see that he eats too. It was horrible... but anyways yes I love the harlequins too. I looked at saw some black skirt tetras but dont know if they will be too nippy.

4. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

That likely happened because the xray tetras weren't being kept in an appropriate school. :-(

As for the cories, don't go for different colors. That doesn't really help the shoaling concept. They do best in shoals of all one kind of cory....their natural behaviors really start to show when they have a group of their own kind.

Black skirt tetras being nippy....I think most schooling fish have nipping issues when not kept in a school. If the school of black skirt tetras was large enough, you MAY not deal with nippy issues. (as much anyway) I have never kept them before so I don't know.

People don't give ghost catfish enough credit on here! Just because they aren't colorful! Come on guys!! lol. These fish look amazing when schooling! But no one ever seems interested when I suggest them LOL

5. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Yeah it was really sad.

Ok I wont. Tbh I like the color of the corys now anyways. Do you think that I could do another 3 peppered (same as the ones I have now) and 6 of a different color?

Lol ghost catfish are interesting. I dont hate them but they arent my favorite they do look cool in a shoal though. :) my LFS doesnt have any sadly. I would get some but they have such limited fish.

I was looking at their bleeding heart tetras and they look so pretty as a shoal. So do the cardinals

6. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Bleeding heart tetras are very pretty :) So are cardinals. I only have experience with ghost cats, rasboras and the white tipped tetras. (as far as schooling fish are concerned)

Remind me where you are in Minnesota......

I like the idea of getting 3 more peppered cories for sure!! As for adding a 2nd cory shoal.....What is the footprint of your tank? If it is longer instead of taller maybe you could do a 2nd cory shoal of a different kind..... I would ask Coradee on that one though....

The cories I keep are Melini cories and Metae cories. I am also a fan of panda cories.

7. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

The footprint is a 50 long. It has a lot of open ground for them to swim. They LOVE the open areas now. I need more plants in there to make it not look like so I might be spending money first on plants then more fish.

I like the albino or peppered corys. It would be cool to have 2 schools of corys. (Montagues and capulets LOL)

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Yes you can have two groups of corys though in my opinion one large group looks better & you see much more natural behaviour when they're kept in a large single species group.
    On another note what temp do you keep your tank? peppered corys like it cooler than most corys so you may be better rehoming them, you could then have a group of bronze & albino aenus, as they're the same species just different colour morphs they'll be quite happy together.

9. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I keep my temp around 75--77. Ok I wil keep that in mind. I probably would just get more of the same species. I looked at those species and they look cool!! I might try the bronze corys :) if I do get a school of tetra. Could I add 1 angel? Or is that pushing it? Would it be aggressive as it gets older?

10. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Many kinds of tetras can be pretty nippy which is always a gamble with angelfish's long flowing fins. That is why I chose harlequin rasboras. But there are a lot of people who have different kinds of tetra schools with their angels. So I am sure there are kinds that would work well.

I think a single angel would be just fine. Usually a single angel doesn't get aggressive...they usually only get aggressive with other angels (in my experience)

I worry more about all the mollies and platies though....don't they get pretty big and have really big bio-loads or something? How much middle swimming space will there be with 3 mollies, two platies and a swordtail and a tetra school and an angel? I really don't know. I'd have to see it. LOL I have no experience AT ALL with live bearers.

11. octavio Member Member

While you're checking what schools of shoaling fish to buy, look at rummy nose tetras.They are a bit shy, so a school of ten or more is reasonable in a 50 gal tank. They constantly swim together. And they have very interesting coloring. Tiny and exceptionally beautiful fish.

12. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I love them!!!! The rummys r so cool to watch!!! The mollys and platies are fine with each other so is the swordtail. They all like to swim everywhere so no one really bumps into each other

13. Shadowfox118 Member Member

After keeping black skirt tetras for a while, IE a few months I'm gonna tell you if you keep them in a large enough school they don't get nippy at all unless one is getting picked on by other fish.

When introduced to my tank with my pleco(he's in his new 75 gal home until my 220 has been arranged and cycled) they didn't mind him at all. He being very large ignored him but when placing my lonely pictus cat, he needs a new home, they had at it for a few minutes then settled back down. I'd do a school of 10 or more if possible but mind you they do get bigger then the average cardinal or neon.

14. Shadowfox118 Member Member

I'd definitely change the type of live bearers though, at least keep only one gender so they don't procreate and take over your tank.

15. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Im having no problem with having the tank being over run. Theres enough fish to eat the babies.

16. Shadowfox118 Member Member

You think that now...

17. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

LOL I've kept platies in a 10 gal for a year and never had 1 baby survive. Ive never seen 1 baby in my 50 gal.

18. sylviepld Member Member

Hi there. Most tetras are peaceful schooling fish but some like tiger barbs can be a bit nippy. However, I have read that if you keep them in big enough schools they will tend to leave other fish alone but may have harmless 'squabbles' amongst themselves. Some of my favorites that I have had success with are rummy nose tetras and cardinal tetras. Outside of tetras I really like zebra danios. They look great and flashy in a school and are always on the move - very peaceful. Good luck.
    I was just looking at your list of fish and most of them are good at a bit lower temperatures. The zebra danios also like lower temps. There is also a very pretty schooling fish that likes lower temps called the white cloud minnow.