Schooling Fish Compatible With Angelfish

1. Guppykid101 Well Known Member Member

I have a 60 gallon planted tank that I am slowly stocking, I've had a solid stocking plan for a while,but its fallen through due to the pricing of the fish i want at my LFS. The planned stocking is:

1x Angelfish (already in)
    5x Swordtails (already in)
    10x Sterbai, Panda, or Bronze Corys
    2x GBRs (already in, and spawning)
    2x Mystery Snails (already in)
    10x Praecox Rainbows

It is my full intention to still get the corys, but the praecox rainbows are through the roof pricey at my LFS. So what other schooling fish could I do with angels? They don't have to be as big as praecox rainbows as long as they wont get eaten so I'm open to change the number of schooling fish as well, just looking for options! :)

2. crazycatlady Well Known Member Member

I would choose either the sterbai cories or bronze cories. I think that panda cories are temperature incompatible with angelfish. Unfortunately I'm not good at choosing schooling fish so I can't really help there.

3. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Diamond tetras, Rummy-Nose Tetra Tetras, Black Neon Tetras are some schooling fish options that are temp compatible with angels and should be big enough not to get eaten.

Agreed that sterbai and bronze corys would be a better option for temp compatibility with the angel and GBRs.

4. RyanLewis Member Member

I would go with black neons for sure. They're so cool!

5. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

You can do glowlight tetras. As mentioned above, do not do panda cories, they require cooler water than the angelfish and GBR. Sterbai and bronze are more better.

What're the dimensions?

6. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

How about
    1 Angelfish
    5 Swordtails
    2 GBRs
    12 Bronze Cories or Sterbai Cories
    12-16 Rummynose Tetras or Dwarf Pencilfish
    2 Mystery Snails

7. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Glowlight and Columbian tetras are some of my favorites.

8. Guppykid101 Well Known Member Member

I looked into it and I have no clue how black neons slipped through my fingers! Would the stocking list that @Lance0414 suggested work with black neons instead of the rummy nose?

Its funny how everyone seems to be huge fans of rummies, but I had a run in with a bad batch from ly LFS, all 12 I got died within a week JUST after my LFS's policy on sick fish would have let me get a refund.

9. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What about congo tetras?

10. Guppykid101 Well Known Member Member

They were on the list originally as well, but are also unreasonably pricey at the LFS. As well as I read a few accounts of congos getting nippy and being very rambunxious, not too good of a mix with my super chill angel and GBRs.

11. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Black Neons should work instead of Rummynose just the Black Neons get a little smaller making them more likely to get eaten by a full grown Angelfish.

12. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The accounts you read were probably where they didn't have enough in a school. They aren't aggressive if kept properly.

Black neons shouldn't be eaten by angelfish. Harlequin rasboras will also work.

13. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

If congos are kept in a big enough school, they should behave nicely.

14. MommaLake Well Known Member Member

I have rosy tetras with my angels and I love them. Very peaceful. Hyphessobrycon rosaceus

15. Corrie Williamson Member Member

Sailfin mollies get to about 3 inches and stand up to our angels all the time. Our red minor tetras swim low in our tank so our angels pretty much leave them alone. Platys are fine once they are full grown. We have panda forties and ottos in with our angels they have learned to hide from the angels quite well.