Schooling Cories

ebbandflow

Reaction score
That's right boys and girls, its time to play another round of, "Does the Guy at my LFS Know What He's Talking About." Today he told me that all different kinds of cories will school with each other. What say you guys?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tell the guy forget it. (well not really...) Cories do shoal but no fish will shoal with another of a different species. It's probably a sales thing...he probably figures people will be more likely to buy them if they think they can get one of each.

OP
E

ebbandflow

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Quick question. Is shoaling different then schooling?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Schooling as far as I know is only seen in some marine fish. It is when the fish stay in a tight group and exactly copy each other--facing the same direction, turning at the same time.
Shoaling is what most fish do--just hanging out in a defined group, but with individuals doing their own stuff.
A lot of people just use them interchangably though.

Osiris

Reaction score
I've read in several places that cories of different types will all hang out together, and that they regularly intermingle in their natural habitat.  I was reading in an aquarium magazine recently about a guy who went on a fish-gathering trip and he caught something like 5 different species of cories "shoaling" together.  That's probably what he means.

mistycheri

Reaction score
Well I have 3 panda cory's, and two speckled cory's and the panda's stay in their own little group, and the other two kinda just do their own thing.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine kind of hang out together also. But I'm like CherI Ann my pandas always stayed by themselves. At the time I thought it was because they were much smaller than the others.
Neons school, the whole group swims one direction then the whole group swims back.
Carol

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So what I gather is that different species may or may not hang out together. But you still need to get 3 of a kind no matter what.

I said no freshwater fish school but now that Butterfly mentioned Neons schooling, I realized that several tetras do tend to school...off the top of my head, Neons, Cardinals, Black Neons, Rummy Noses. Sheesh, I spend hours watching them school at the lfs and then I say no freshwater fish school! :

OP
E

ebbandflow

Reaction score
I just got six rasboras and they seem to school also... much more so then the cories at least. They are always in a group and tend to move around together.

Marc

Well Known
Reaction score
I have a book on Corydoras (the name escapes me at the moment) and it says they've been found in the wild with bunches of them in groups of over 1,000 with various species in their own little groups mixed into a main one. I'm going to take a wild guess and say they'll go together but nowhere near as well as with their own species.

New Threads