Schooling Albino Cory's?

raptorsvt79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have never really seen my albino cory's school, there usually out and about doing there own thing...is it normal for them?...i know they are a little hyperactive...and only see them together when they are eating an algea wafer or shrimp pellet....but would like to know from all you albino cory owners and your experiences...

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine forage together. They don't school like barbs or rainbows though. They are not constant swimmers like the aforementioned fish, so when they are just hanging out they may not be "together," but I'm certain they know where the others are. They school when they are on the move, which in an aquarium doesn't happen. They forage together though, and that is how they "school" in the aquarium.

If your corys are only active when you feed them, you could be feeding them too much. Overfeeding leads to lazy corys they should regularly work the tank over, not just sitting around or hiding. You have 6 in a 40?

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've had albino cories and they were quite cute. When they lay around, they'd be together. But when they swim, they'd either go in pairs or all over the place!

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a couple in my community and when they are resting or sleeping they are always very close, but other than that they seem to scuttle around the tank on their own while foraging.

raptorsvt79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mine are not lazy at all, ...they are very active...just almost never together....

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine shoal(swim in the general area) more than school(synchronized swimming ) and their very active.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know the post is a couple days old but for what it is worth.....I was at the LFS today and they had a new shipment of Skunk Cories(about 15-20 of em) mixed in with bala sharks or silver tips or something and if you werent paying attention you would have thought they were actually part of the sharks. They were all swimming together in sync WITH the sharks! It was kinda funny, but I thought about this post when I saw it....lol. *thinks to self* "So they do school.....gonna have to hurry back home and add it to the forum"

raptorsvt79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thats funny....but i think albino's are way more active than any other type of cory....they are pretty crazy...

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have 2 albino cory's that zip about the tank together all the time they eat together and sleep in a plant pot together they are so cute! Most definitely a pair

Royal pleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to jump in this thread, but it is somewhat pertinent to the discussion. I have 3 Albino Cory's in a 10 gallon, like people have said, they eat together, but recently 2 of them have been resting under a rock for a day now... is this normal? I know I have never seen mine do it...I am going to check my water parameters tomorrow. The 2 I don't think have eaten in a day and ahalf which is strange. From what I can see they are still breathing, eyes are wide open, look good from my angle (head on looking at them under a rock) They are side by side. I did about a week ago change filters (I did however take the old cartridge and place it in my new filter to sustain the beneficial bacteria. I also have 2 black skirt tetras in the tank. Everyone gets along, I dunno, maybe I'm jumping the gun here, I'll monitor them for a couple more days, see if they come out and eat. Thanks for listening.
Royal Pleco

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My cories freak me out all the time. Once they were sitting on top of a large rock in my tank together and didn't move for what felt like hours. Finally I had to dip the net in to check and they almost let it hit them in the head before moving and I think giving me the bird and swimming off.

raptorsvt79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yeah, they will take long brakes every once in a while...but keep checking your readings, just to make sure.

Royal pleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just went down to turn off the lights, and one of them was out from uner the rock... I am happy now, 1 more to come out from there and I'll be real happy. Glad to hear this is normal.... thank you.

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have been wondering the same thing! My two newest albinos seem to hang out together a lot, but my oldest who was by himself for quite some time, is only w/ the other two when they are sleeping/resting. He does his own thing (he's quite bigger than them) or hangs out w/ the platys to be perfectly honest. i always get excited when they are swimming together, but it's pretty rare.

Element

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've seen them school in the LFS big community tanks. picking and picking! I got two and I love them!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom