Schoolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashto Brado

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was wondering, what species of schooling fish should I add to my 30 gallon which has some gouramis in it already? (The dwarf gouramis)

zcpetty

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Zebra danios, neon, black neon, or cardinal tetras, its all preference but those are the most common and lower cost fish. Im sure someone else might have more exotic options

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How many dwarf gouramis do you have? Are they all males? You really should only have one in this tank size.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You have loads of options. What sort of fish do you like? Personally I would get a large school of nano schooling fish like ember tetras, CPD or chili rasboras.

Ashto Brado

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How many dwarf gouramis do you have? Are they all males? You really should only have one in this tank size.
1 powder blue male, 1 powder blue female, and 2 neon red females, as well as 2 snails and a dwarf crayfish

You have loads of options. What sort of fish do you like? Personally I would get a large school of nano schooling fish like ember tetras, CPD or chili rasboras.
I'd prefer something with some color, just I hate GloFish. Something which is typically $1-$3 and schools up nicely between the mid and high areas of the tank

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashto Brado

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Now, I don't mind the price if the fish looks incredible when schooled up or looks better than a cheap schooler.

If u don't mind me asking, Wut fish is ur avatar? I'm curious, and Wut tank parameters would it need? I hav a spare 30 gallon I was gonna fire up when this one seems stable and I luv the colors of it

Last edited by a moderator:

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd rehome 1 or 2 of the females and add a school of male cherry barbs.

zcpetty

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If u don't mind me asking, Wut fish is ur avatar? I'm curious, and Wut tank parameters would it need? I hav a spare 30 gallon I was gonna fire up when this one seems stable and I luv the colors of it
Thats my electric blue acara. stays about 4-6 inches. Mines in a 36 gal bowfront. Its technically a cross of a blue ram and a blue acara. Not found in wild but technically an american cichlid. Love them! A little pricey tho!

They got the size of an acara the looks of a ram and are good in communities. Disclaimer he snacked on my zebra danios lol!

Ashto Brado

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thats my electric blue acara. stays about 4-6 inches. Mines in a 36 gal bowfront. Its technically a cross of a blue ram and a blue acara. Not found in wild but technically an american cichlid. Love them! A little pricey tho!

They got the size of an acara the looks of a ram and are good in communities. Disclaimer he snacked on my zebra danios lol!
Thx! Ya think one would work in a 30 gallon with some tiger barbs?

zcpetty

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thx! Ya think one would work in a 30 gallon with some tiger barbs?
I think one would be fine in a 30. But i know zero about tiger barbs. He is a messy fish. Think mini oscar lol. Hes literally a blue mini oscar in behavior.

Edit: expect to pay $20+ for one. Petsmart carries them but i got mine from a mom and pop.

Ashto Brado

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think one would be fine in a 30. But i know zero about tiger barbs. He is a messy fish. Think mini oscar lol. Hes literally a blue mini oscar in behavior.

Edit: expect to pay $20+ for one. Petsmart carries them but i got mine from a mom and pop.
My local fish store sells them for $18, just looked it up, thx! Could they do well with angels or is that a no go?

zcpetty

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My local fish store sells them for $18, just looked it up, thx! Could they do well with angels or is that a no go?
It maybe an acara but it we have 2 in the fam. Behaves more like its ram side. Seems to get along fin with medium- large fish but may eat little fish. My poor danios became snacks, but my silver dollars im growing arent bothered nor is the resident BN pleco. We have one in with other cichlids and he doesnt bug anyone.

Ashto Brado

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It maybe an acara but it we have 2 in the fam. Behaves more like its ram side. Seems to get along fin with medium- large fish but may eat little fish. My poor danios became snacks, but my silver dollars im growing arent bothered nor is the resident BN pleco. We have one in with other cichlids and he doesnt bug anyone.
Thx for da info, I'll c about getting one in the future

zcpetty

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just want to mention that i dont know how well angels will do in a 30. But if it wont fit in the eba's mouth it should be safe.

Ashto Brado

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright, so I got some buenos Aires tetras, 4 of them, I'll c if they do good then I'll get more later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom