Schoolers

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ashto Brado, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Ashto Brado

Ashto Brado Valued Member Member

I was wondering, what species of schooling fish should I add to my 30 gallon which has some gouramis in it already? (The dwarf gouramis)

2. zcpetty

zcpetty Well Known Member Member

Zebra danios, neon, black neon, or cardinal tetras, its all preference but those are the most common and lower cost fish. Im sure someone else might have more exotic options

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

How many dwarf gouramis do you have? Are they all males? You really should only have one in this tank size.

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

You have loads of options. What sort of fish do you like? Personally I would get a large school of nano schooling fish like ember tetras, CPD or chili rasboras.

5. OP
    OP
    Ashto Brado

1 powder blue male, 1 powder blue female, and 2 neon red females, as well as 2 snails and a dwarf crayfish

I'd prefer something with some color, just I hate GloFish. Something which is typically $1-$3 and schools up nicely between the mid and high areas of the tank

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  6. zcpetty

Tetras :)

7. OP
    OP
    Ashto Brado

Now, I don't mind the price if the fish looks incredible when schooled up or looks better than a cheap schooler.

If u don't mind me asking, Wut fish is ur avatar? I'm curious, and Wut tank parameters would it need? I hav a spare 30 gallon I was gonna fire up when this one seems stable and I luv the colors of it

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  8. zcpetty

Google neon tetra school. Beautiful!

9. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd rehome 1 or 2 of the females and add a school of male cherry barbs.

10. zcpetty

Thats my electric blue acara. :) stays about 4-6 inches. Mines in a 36 gal bowfront. Its technically a cross of a blue ram and a blue acara. Not found in wild but technically an american cichlid. Love them! A little pricey tho!

They got the size of an acara the looks of a ram and are good in communities. Disclaimer he snacked on my zebra danios lol!

11. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

How about rummy nose tetras? They are one of the few schooling fish that actually school properly most of the time.

12. OP
    OP
    Ashto Brado

Thx! Ya think one would work in a 30 gallon with some tiger barbs?

13. zcpetty

I think one would be fine in a 30. But i know zero about tiger barbs. He is a messy fish. Think mini oscar lol. Hes literally a blue mini oscar in behavior.

Edit: expect to pay $20+ for one. Petsmart carries them but i got mine from a mom and pop.

14. OP
    OP
    Ashto Brado

My local fish store sells them for $18, just looked it up, thx! Could they do well with angels or is that a no go?

15. zcpetty

It maybe an acara but it we have 2 in the fam. Behaves more like its ram side. Seems to get along fin with medium- large fish but may eat little fish. My poor danios became snacks, but my silver dollars im growing arent bothered nor is the resident BN pleco. We have one in with other cichlids and he doesnt bug anyone.

16. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

Rummy nose tetras are beautiful! I also really enjoy my harlequin rasboras.

17. OP
    OP
    Ashto Brado

Thx for da info, I'll c about getting one in the future

18. zcpetty

I just want to mention that i dont know how well angels will do in a 30. But if it wont fit in the eba's mouth it should be safe.

19. OP
    OP
    Ashto Brado

Alright, so I got some buenos Aires tetras, 4 of them, I'll c if they do good then I'll get more later

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice