School

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shawnie - most of the city/state colleges have online or video classes. They are really cool, just have to go the school when a test is due and you can pick your time to do it

I graduated from college the spring after my last child graduated from HS In order to work 55hrs a week and go to school I took some video and online classes which were cool. I could re-wind or back them up as many times as I wanted to
Carol

Chief_waterchanger

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I did my original Real-Estate stuff through Career Web Schools. It was only $400ish and is alright, but not incredibly helpful as far as telling ya what to do next and where the path was leading ya. (Tossed me to the wind, but it was worth the $400.)

Shawnie, is there a specific field you are interested in studying?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes a couple...and at my age, most of my buddies laugh at me LOL ..which is ok, I figure they are laughing with me not at me ;D

grew up wanting to be a 911 operator...weird I know and not sure why..just something that really interested me..I like to help others and also, I think the older I get, the more nosy I get...

now I would like to be a spca abuse investigator...we need to speak for the ones that cant ....

Angela_96

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
you will love AP BIO and bio 2, I took them in high school and they were my favorite classes.... of coarse that was 13-14 years ago lol.....

My oldest started 1st grade today, he came home w/ homework already.
I have to say for me though I did love school, and in fact I loved it so much I took classes at VA Tech during the summer all through high school, then there is the years I spent in college, until I decided on a degree (I have two one in healthcare management, and the other as an Advanced Resp Therapist) I am going back next fall for nursing. Im a school junkie

Chief_waterchanger

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Shawnie,

I would contact your local emergency management facility for information on what training a 911 operator in your area needs. Some states I believe it is a 16-18 week course, but I may be mistaken.

As for the SPCA Abuse Investigator... You could contact the nearest big city law enforcement office to ask about that. I would think you would have to do some criminology or criminal justice courses. In some states SPCA agents are police officers that get put into the animal protection squad(s), I believe.

Angela_96

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My husband worked as a 911 operator years ago before we met, they didn't have to have special training here, but of coarse he was already involved somewhat being a vol firefighter, and going to EMT school....

That was right after he left Oak Ridge from his internship, shocking fish for the Y12 plant.... he is deathly afraid of oak ridge, he said the whole place is contaminated and thats why he has nothing to do w/ working w/ his enviromental science degree here, I have to believe him because in 3 years working at a maj med center that did neuro surgery, I took care of at least 5 scientist from oak ridge w/ brain tumors.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Chief_waterchanger said:
Glad you enjoyed your first day back. Wow, I never got the option of zoology in school... lucky guy.
Man me either! Very lucky. The closest class i took was Bio II honors.

ninilie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Shawnie I just registered for my first online class at a community college here. Its 100% online. Its intro to security management. It starts the 25th i cant wait lol. I hope i have time to do it all. There are so many classes online but they get filled very fast. I seen a class i wanted yesterday and today they were all closed.

My son does not start back to school until after Labor day

Tavel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I took a few AP classes in high school but ended up taking them again in college because, well...i was not satisfied with the quality of the high school instruction.

It was basically like watching "sharks" on animal planet and then trying to become a marine biologist. High school courses are way too trimmed down to be useful beyond passing the test. But they have to be approachable and passable for everyone. AP classes are a little better, but you'll still want to take the college version for you own benefit.

Shawnie, only take online courses from reputable universities and colleges. Don't even look at them if they don't have a campus that conducts real classes. Westwood College would probably be a good place to start looking. they do a lot of online and evening classes, and offer criminal justice.

I would personally stick to your local community college and pursue an Associates in "whatever" from them...it'll just be a better education IMO.

Chief_waterchanger

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The online courses I went to is solely online or mail-correspondence, with no campus. The way I got around feeling like it may be a scam is to check, since I was studying Real-Estate, the Tennessee Real Estate Commission's website to see if that school was acredited with the TREC.

I do think Tavel's idea about sticking to online courses from a college/university that also has a campus is about the easiest way to avoid scams.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ty everyone!! sorry again cory for the hijacking

KyWildFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Even though I had a really tough (and long) run through school, I miss it. The geek in me loved learning and still does, when I have time. The other bull that came with school I dont miss. Stick it out, college is great.
Look at it this way Cory, I wake up every morning at 6 and get to work at seven. I wear "business formal" attire (tie and all that garbage) and end up covering it with a lab coat. I then go to boring meetings and get my ducks in a row. Sound familiar?
The rest of the day I spend playing with chemicals and ingredients making things taste better. I get paid to play with my food! If you bust your hump through all the boring stuff maybe one day you will find a job you love from it.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Tavel said:
I took a few AP classes in high school but ended up taking them again in college because, well...i was not satisfied with the quality of the high school instruction.

It was basically like watching "sharks" on animal planet and then trying to become a marine biologist. High school courses are way too trimmed down to be useful beyond passing the test. But they have to be approachable and passable for everyone. AP classes are a little better, but you'll still want to take the college version for you own benefit.
I had an English teacher who constantly talked about her class being like a true college-level course. She gave us continuous pop quizzes, insipid assignments, etc...

When my wife and I got to college, we just laughed at this woman. Her "college level class" was nothing like a college class. While we got a lot of assignments, they were in-depth and interesting. Most English courses I've taken in college have had three or four tests, tops.

As far as taking college versions of classes, it all depends on if it's something you need.
I flunked out of calculus (mid-level college course) in high school, but was already three math courses ahead of my fellow seniors, so I could still graduate. I haven't taken a math course since, and I still have a better grasp of math than most of my friends. I understand math, but I don't like it, and I don't need it for creative writing, so I don't worry about it. On the other hand, I went through all of the English/Lit classes, even though I probably could have transferred my AP credits easily.

Angela_96

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The ap classes are great to take, but I do agree w/ taking them over in college. Eventhough I have to admit my ap bio II was very close to my first year anatomy and phys. class... If it wasn't for that I would have had major issues passing the class.
I took ap bio, ap english, and ap government, along w/ 4 years of latin, and a couple of spanish..... I guess I was a geek.... but I loved the classes. There isn't nothing like translating an entire roman empire story as your year assignment... (the latin helps out a lot w/ my being in the healthcare feild)

Tavel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
sirdarksol said:
I had an English teacher who constantly talked about her class being like a true college-level course. She gave us continuous pop quizzes, insipid assignments, etc...

When my wife and I got to college, we just laughed at this woman. Her "college level class" was nothing like a college class. While we got a lot of assignments, they were in-depth and interesting. Most English courses I've taken in college have had three or four tests, tops.

As far as taking college versions of classes, it all depends on if it's something you need.
I flunked out of calculus (mid-level college course) in high school, but was already three math courses ahead of my fellow seniors, so I could still graduate. I haven't taken a math course since, and I still have a better grasp of math than most of my friends. I understand math, but I don't like it, and I don't need it for creative writing, so I don't worry about it. On the other hand, I went through all of the English/Lit classes, even though I probably could have transferred my AP credits easily.

haha yeah. I had a few teachers that thought they were doing it like a college class. I got a chuckle when I got into my first college class. "hey, this isn't mindless droning, it's fun!"

High School math is a funny beast. They say it's the same material as the college courses...but it's not. My sister and I took the "same" course at the same time, Precalc 1 (or "Intermediate College Algebra" in high school). However, it took them 9 months to complete the material while my class did it all in eight weeks. We even covered more material, the high school class didn't even touch synthetic division, manual matrix operations, or a bunch smaller things.

The high school class was seriously deficient and that's why so many kids were having trouble with it, of course it doesn't make sense when you've only learned 80% of a topic! Math is one case where teaching more content makes the class easier because it's all operational, not cumulative (like history...).

I almost failed out of the same class when I was in high school...but magically got an A in college. then again, I also decided to re-do the entire math sequence in college from algebra onward (nothing motivates like crazy Korean professors telling you you're dumber than Forest Gump!).

It was then I realized high school was a total waste of time. I either didn't learn it, didn't learn enough of it to be useful, or learned it incorrectly! Hopeless.

Angela_96

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hated high school math w/ a passion.... the only class I did well in was geometry only because if you memorized the theroms you had it made.
Then, like a lightbulb when I got into college math turned out to be a strong point I think it had a lot to do w/ the teachers at the high school level. Now the profession I am in you have to be proficent in physics/math to do well, we use a lot of it w/ ventilators, lung volumes, etc

Angela_96

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OH yea, on the reg topic... .
My school loving son turned into a hating son today when he brought home once again homework, lol....
He is in 1st grade and his homework was a list of 12 spelling words, writing numbers, shapes, and 2 stories in his reading book he had to read out loud to me.
That seems like a lot for a 1st grader, I couldn't imagine what they are sending home on a high school level.

Coryd55

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Eh, I don't mind the jacking at all. I enjoy it. Makes the thread more enjoyable haha

rileyrk190

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
trust me you will enjoy college much more. At least at my high school you were forced to do tedious unnecessary homework and being such a small school, you had to see the same people over and over. At least at college you have more freedom, and can pick your friends..not to mention most schools let you have fish!!!lol

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dorm life is pretty cool. I never got much of it, my only regret probably.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom