School Room Build

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
777
Points
158
Experience
2 years
So, recently I have been put in charge of a school room build. It will be a 10g build and I need ideas on possible build ideas. Go crazy.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
777
Points
158
Experience
2 years
kallililly1973 said:
Your limited to stocking ideas with a 10. I would ask if they would allow at least a 20 long then you could do a scoop of Cory cats a school of tetras and a couple honey Gourami or something along those lines
I think the only reason it's a 10g is due to it being donated. I will look into the idea.
 

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Messages
626
Reaction score
294
Points
73
I agree on trying to upsize the tank. Otherwise your pretty limited. If just a 10 gallon I’d do it planted with a few small fish, and a bunch of shrimp and snails.
 

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Messages
626
Reaction score
294
Points
73
I’m su
Aqua Hands said:
I think the only reason it's a 10g is due to it being donated. I will look into the idea.
I’m sure you could get a local fish store to donate you a larger tank if you advertise for them.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
777
Points
158
Experience
2 years
saltwater60 said:
I agree on trying to upsize the tank. Otherwise your pretty limited. If just a 10 gallon I’d do it planted with a few small fish, and a bunch of shrimp and snails.
Maybe Dwarf Shrimp with SPF Shrimp? I know the SPF shrimp are recommended for a 20 But I've always kept them in a 10g.

saltwater60 said:
I’m su
I’m sure you could get a local fish store to donate you a larger tank if you advertise for them.
I'll probably just buy the tank to be straight forward.
 

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Messages
923
Reaction score
553
Points
103
Experience
Just started
What is the context of the tank? Is it related to a science class? Is there a learning objective?

How will the tank be maintained? Will the kids be responsible for the maintenance? Will you maintain it? Who will do the feeding? How will the tank be cared for on holiday breaks?

It would seem that the maintenance characteristics might drive stocking and tank design. Perhaps it can be left alone over weekends and most holidays. Somebody may need to do something over Christmas. There would definitely be some needs over the summer.

If there is a science learning objective then it would be nice to develop the stocking in association with the learning objective. Maybe some kind of heavily planted nano tank with shrimp, snails and some tiny nano fish. Maybe recruit a science teacher to help you with maintenance and coordination with learning objectives. Maybe get the kids involved. Perhaps you could come up with a few ideas and then have the kids vote. Or maybe get a fish club going and have this tank be the first fish club project.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
777
Points
158
Experience
2 years
Sorg67 said:
What is the context of the tank? Is it related to a science class? Is there a learning objective?

How will the tank be maintained? Will the kids be responsible for the maintenance? Will you maintain it? Who will do the feeding? How will the tank be cared for on holiday breaks?

It would seem that the maintenance characteristics might drive stocking and tank design. Perhaps it can be left alone over weekends and most holidays. Somebody may need to do something over Christmas. There would definitely be some needs over the summer.

If there is a science learning objective then it would be nice to develop the stocking in association with the learning objective. Maybe some kind of heavily planted nano tank with shrimp, snails and some tiny nano fish. Maybe recruit a science teacher to help you with maintenance and coordination with learning objectives. Maybe get the kids involved. Perhaps you could come up with a few ideas and then have the kids vote. Or maybe get a fish club going and have this tank be the first fish club project.
I or the Teacher will take the fish home if i feel comfortable with their capabilities by summer. I will be taking care of them and they said they will have a janitor feed the fish over winter break. Someones always in the school so that is not a problem. I will be taking care of the fish and I am very capable of taking care of a freshwater tank.
 

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Messages
923
Reaction score
553
Points
103
Experience
Just started
Aqua Hands said:
I or the Teacher will take the fish home if i feel comfortable with their capabilities by summer. I will be taking care of them and they said they will have a janitor feed the fish over winter break. Someones always in the school so that is not a problem. I will be taking care of the fish and I am very capable of taking care of a freshwater tank.
I did not mean to suggest that you were not capable of taking care of the tank.

I have been thinking of sponsoring an aquarium project at a local school. So I have given these issues some thought.

My idea has been to get the kids involved and give them responsibility for caring for the tank. I think it would be a good learning opportunity. Also a responsibility growth opportunity.

It seems also an opportunity to coordinate with science classes for learning about aquatic eco-systems.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
777
Points
158
Experience
2 years
coralbandit said:
I'll send you a pair of rams if you want ..
We don't have it set up yet but the teacher would love to take them! Its turned into a school color fish tank (Blue/Gold) So its perfect! Would you be able to hold them until then?

Sorg67 said:
I did not mean to suggest that you were not capable of taking care of the tank.

I have been thinking of sponsoring an aquarium project at a local school. So I have given these issues some thought.

My idea has been to get the kids involved and give them responsibility for caring for the tank. I think it would be a good learning opportunity. Also a responsibility growth opportunity.

It seems also an opportunity to coordinate with science classes for learning about aquatic eco-systems.
NO NO No, you're completely fine. I was just letting you know that it would be okay for the fish. Thank you and i agree! You should try to sponsor a local school fish tank!
 

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,574
Reaction score
7,881
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Aqua Hands said:
We don't have it set up yet but the teacher would love to take them! Its turned into a school color fish tank (Blue/Gold) So its perfect! Would you be able to hold them until then?
You're good to go !
Just say when and I will send you a nice pair of GBR..I have a lot of gold rams also if you or the school prefer gold ?
I lokk forward to hooking you and your school up .
I love doing stuff like this !
 

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,574
Reaction score
7,881
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorg67 said:
My idea has been to get the kids involved and give them responsibility for caring for the tank. I think it would be a good learning opportunity. Also a responsibility growth opportunity.

It seems also an opportunity to coordinate with science classes for learning about aquatic eco-systems.
Any time I hear of a school or organization looking for donations I offer up ..
You have asked on threads what to do with all the fish .
I can think of few ways better and have made some good friends doing this !
I like the way you think !
 

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Messages
923
Reaction score
553
Points
103
Experience
Just started
coralbandit said:
Any time I hear of a school or organization looking for donations I offer up ..
You have asked on threads what to do with all the fish .
I can think of few ways better and have made some good friends doing this !
I like the way you think !
Yes, great suggestion. Thanks!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
777
Points
158
Experience
2 years
aquanerd14 said:
How often will water changes be done?
Honestly? Daily? Im the one doing them. So the longest it will go is sat. Sun. then ill do one monday.

coralbandit said:
You're good to go !
Just say when and I will send you a nice pair of GBR..I have a lot of gold rams also if you or the school prefer gold ?
I lokk forward to hooking you and your school up .
I love doing stuff like this !
Honestly, i always perfered the blue over the gold and we'll need something to pop out so blue would be preferred :)
 

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Messages
626
Reaction score
294
Points
73
I’d watch having the janitor feed them just to be sure they are not being over fed. People have a tendency to do that. Of course not me??!!??!!
 

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,574
Reaction score
7,881
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
They could easily fast over the weekend ...
I agree not to have others involved when not needed ...
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom